Chapter 28: Serious Talk

Damon's POV

As KJ and I lay on my bed, my hand gently runs over her back as she sleeps on my chest. We had lunch and she decided to sign out early so we could spend the rest of the afternoon outside. Both of us wanted to get away for the day and we drove to the lake. For someone considerably shorter than me, she walks fast as hell, even on a hiking trail. I smile when I think about her face looking out at the water.

We haven't been in for long, probably an hour but KJ was falling asleep on the drive home. When we came in, she kicked off her shoes and changed into one of my t-shirts before falling into bed. I know she's tired because she didn't even have the energy to shower and both of us have been outside today.

I let my fingers feel her back muscle that contracts as she takes breaths. I sigh as I stare at the ceiling then let my eyes wander over KJ's figure. She took the rubberbands and scrunchies out of her hair, letting the curls fall naturally. It looks like a light brown cloud is spread over a white t-shirt. KJ's skin glows in the early evening light and the shine from her lotion makes the skin look brighter. 

I blink a few times and turn my head gently to look at the time. 6:43 pm. KJ moves a little and her arms move from my chest, stretching up. I look down at her and her eyelashes are fluttering as she rests her chin on my chest. "Hi there," I say, scooting up against the headboard. "Hi." She says, sitting up. KJ's hands lightly tussle her hair before she adjusts her t-shirt. She's sitting up but kneeling on the bed and sleepily rubs her eyes.

"How long was I asleep?" She mutters. I groan and look out the back patio to the backyard. "Almost an hour." "Oh. I'm sorry." She says, getting off the bed and heading into the bathroom. "It's okay. You had a long day." KJ washes up in the bathroom and I get up, make the bed, and run my fingers through the hair on the nape of my neck. 

When KJ comes out of the bathroom, her hair is up in a curly puff and she took out her contacts, deciding to wear her glasses. "What's going on, Damon?" I bring my gaze back to her and she runs her hand over her arms, crossing them. I sigh and sit on the end of the bed, letting my hands rest on the mattress. "There's another vampire in Mystic Falls," I say. She sighs and walks to the end of the bed, sitting next to me. Her hand loops over mine.

"How'd you find out?" KJ breathes out after some time. "Stefan. He asked me about it last night. I told him that I was with you all night but someone was feeding and they were reckless. They've either just been turned or don't care enough to see there are vampires who already live here." I see her nod out of the corner of my eye and the gears start to turn in her head. 

KJ's POV

"Are you all in danger?" I ask, looking over at Damon. He smiles and his hand brushes across my cheek. "You're concerned about us when you should be worried about you and your friends." I shrug and reply, "I'm a witch. I got everything under control." Damon chuckles before kissing the back of my hand and gently letting it go before getting up from the edge of the bed. "Are you hungry?" 

I bite my lower lip, still thinking about what it could mean now that there's another vampire in Mystic Falls. "I could eat," I mutter, getting off the bed. Damon and I pad into the kitchen, wordlessly taking out ingredients for making pasta. I grab the colander and the pot from the cabinets before putting on the water to boil. "Does Stefan know anything else about the vampire?" I ask, leaning against the counter as he gets the pasta from the cupboard. 

Damon shakes his head and opens the box before putting it down. "Mnm. Stefan was trying to see if he could at least see where they were going or at least a hint to who they are but there's nothing yet." I nod and wrap my hands around my waist, staring out the window. "After we eat, do you wanna play some pool?" I ask mindlessly. "Yeah. That sounds perfect." He responds. Damon walks from the island and stands in front of me, trapping me against the counter with his arms. 

"Are you sure you're alright?" I ask, looking him in the eyes. Damon's eyes trace over my face for a moment. "Yeah. I'm a little scared for everyone but seeing as you're a witch..." He trails off. I wrap my arms around his neck and say, "Everything's gonna be fine." I run my fingers through his hair and he leans in to kiss me. I pull him closer by his neck as his hands move under my shirt to feel my torso.

I lean my head back as Damon starts to kiss my neck and his hands move under my ass to sit me on the counter. I scoot back and hold onto his arms as they force themselves over my skin. Damon's lips move from my neck and I realize my heartbeat has gotten increasingly louder and my breathing is ragged. When I look at his eyes, they're dark and surrounded by veins.

"Hey, hey. It's okay. Take a breath." Damon shakes his head and mutters, "I'm sorry." over his fangs as he backs away. I smile and reach out to poke one of his fangs. "It's okay. And besides, you haven't fed in a while. I should've been more careful." Damon's face slowly starts to relax and he comments, "You don't have to do anything. Our relationship is already interesting as it is."  

I laugh and glance over at the water that's come to a rolling boil. "You're not wrong about that." I slide off the counter and place the pasta in the water and set a timer. I move to the fridge to get the sauce and cheese. Damon leans against the island and crosses his arms over his chest. I open the sauce can and place the block of cheese on a cutting board. "Can you pass me the-"

Before I can finish, Damon's standing next to me with the cheese grater. "Thank you." He nods and I slowly move the cheese against the grater so I don't cut myself. As both of us stand in comfortable silence, I realize that even though he's a vampire and I'm a witch, we're good for one another. 

m'kay. full disclosure, i don't know where i'm going with this story. that being said, i'm updating when i feel like it and this one actually felt okay. it's not my favorite out of the whole book but i think it's okay. 

another cute moment before i bring in a lot of issues. i want to end this story before we hit 40 chapters and i think it can be done.

pray for me y'all

-kj <3