Chapter 12: Night Time Routine

When I get to Elena's, Jeremy swings open the door and comes running down the stairs full speed. I slam the car door shut and tuck the keys into my pocket as he stops in front of me. "KJ, I'm sorry. I never should've let you leave school." I look at him and feel my eyes water. He comes closer to me and wraps his hands around my shoulders, bringing me into a hug. I feel my chest heave and the tears start rolling down my face. 

He backs up a little, still holding me in his arms, and looks down at me. "Bonnie explained what happened. You don't have to say anything. I didn't know you were supposed to meet her and that's why you couldn't walk home with me. I cut you off before you could even explain."

I sniffle and wipe my face with my sweater sleeve before taking a shaky breath. "Jeremy, it's not that I didn't want to. I did because you're one of the only people I can genuinely trust here in Mystic Falls. You defended me from Tyler twice while I was there but you've probably done it more times than I've seen. Thank you for everything." Jeremy wipes the tears still rolling down my cheeks and responds, "No problem. And I'd do anything for you KJ. No hesitation."

He hugs me a little tighter and I hug him back, taking in his cologne. It's woodsy and smells like the night after a campfire and the ground is still wet from the overnight rain. It's a fresh, clean smell and I welcome it. Jeremy carefully lets me go and looks down at me. "Are you ready to go in?" I nod and he keeps one arm around my shoulder, leading me into the house.

Once we get upstairs, he looks at me and asks, "You think you'll be okay?" I nod and take a deep breath before walking to my room. After I shut the door behind me, I grab my pj's and shower stuff so I can get ready for bed. I pull off Grams' sweater that I grabbed from by her door and throw it on my bed before taking off my tank top and khakis. I ball up my shirt and pants, throwing them in the trash. I wonder how much Bonnie told Jeremy about what happened. I think.

After I strip all of my clothes off, I turn the water as hot as my body can tolerate and I scrub my body until it feels clean. I use all of my lotions and moisturizers before slipping into my oversized black t-shirt. I glimpse at myself in the mirror and magically, I don't have any bruising on my neck. I look at my tattoo and see that the marks from Damon's feeding is also fading.

My hair is still up in its ponytail, long since made fuzzy from laying down earlier. I take out the scrunchie and massage my scalp, putting in oil before I pull my braids into a low bun. I put edge control around the ends of my hair and tie it down. I tug Grams' sweater back over my shoulders and tiptoe into the hallway. Jeremy's room door is open and I see him sitting at his desk. His back is to me and he has his headphones on; it looks like he's sketching in an art book. 

I check to see if Elena's in her room and she's not. She and Caroline are probably together. I think. I walk back to my room and turn off all my lights aside from the small mushroom lamp I have resting on my desk. I grab my book and journal from my nightstand and sit on my comforter before uncapping my pen.

Damon's POV

"How do you manage to mess up this badly, Damon?" Stefan asks me, sitting in the chair opposite me and across from the fireplace. "I don't know Stefan. I don't know." "You're gonna have to do better than 'I don't know'. You said that you were never gonna see KJ again after Boston." I lean back in my chair and stare at the fire. "I wasn't supposed to. I didn't plan it. And who was I to know she was Bonnie's little cousin?! We weren't in Mystic Falls when she visited when she was younger and when I met her in Boston, I ran into her." 

Stefan scoffs and says, "Ran into her?! You said you were drawn to her! That's red flag number one. Number two is the fact that even though we are states away, she somehow manages to come here right after we move back." I roll my eyes and say, "You're one to talk. Elena's a dead ringer for Katherine and here you are dating her anyway. Do you remember all of the drama that psychotic she-devil put us through?! She turned you and made you a ripper!"