The Plan

Keefe led Vanna across a wooden bridge to another one of Alluveterre's tree houses.  "So," he asked, "how's it feel to be the only ogre with abilities?"  Vanna laughed bitterly.  "The Neverseen took me from my family when I was a child.  They did who knows what to my parents, and they significantly shortened my lifespan.  I'm not their biggest fan."  Keefe nodded awkwardly.  "Yeah, I get that," he mumbled.  They walked the rest of the way to Physic's tree house in silence.  

When they reached the wooden door, Keefe picked up his hand to knock just as Physic opened the door.  The eyes behind her ornate mask grew wide as she looked at Vanna.  "So it is true," she murmured.  "An ogre girl with elvin abilities."  She swung the door open wide and gestured for Vanna to come inside.  "Keefe, I believe Forkle is in the lower treehouse planning a rescue mission with your friends," she informed him.  Keefe nodded and ran down the bridge the way they'd came.  

"We can't possibly go into the heart of a Neverseen hideout without knowing what to expect," Tam argued.  "We've done it before!" Fitz shot back.  Biana put her hand on her brother's arm.  "It is Sophie we're talking about here.  Maybe we should wait for her to transmit to one of us so we can form a plan."  "I'm not sure that's a good idea - when the Neverseen kidnapped Sophie and I the first time we were sedated and our thoughts were monitored," Dex pointed out.  Keefe burst through the door.  "Okay, what did I miss?"

"Sandor tracked Miss Foster to a castle in a remote area in the Forbidden Cities that humans call the Netherlands.  Your friends are arguing about whether or not to go before Sophie reaches out to us." Forkle explained.  "There's no time to waste," Dex interjected.  "We've seen what the Neverseen can do, and if they end up using sopriodine then we won't hear from Sophie for a significant amount of time."  Keefe glanced at Forkle.  "Did you think about sopriodine?"  The wrinkled man shook his head.  "No, I haven't considered that possibility.  We don't even know that they have an antidote for sopriodine yet, and they need Sophie's mind active for information."  "But what if they did figure it out?" Dex asked.  "An antidote, that is.  That makes Sophie an even more valuable bargaining token, since they can control her consciousness."  Forkle rose to his feet and said, "it seems your logic is correct.  We've got to get to Miss Foster as soon as possible.  But we're not bringing everyone.

"Fitz, you should go because of your close mental connection to Miss Foster.  Dex, you need to as well, just in case this hypothetical antidote has a technological component.  Biana, they'll need your vanishing ability.  The smaller the group, the better.  I'm going to send Granite with you as a chaperone, but he should also be able to advise you should a complex telepathic situation arise."  Keefe looked around and noticed that he wasn't included in the list.  "Hold up, Forklenator - I'm coming too.  It's probably my mom who's in control there."  Forkle sighed.  "That's exactly why I'm not sending you.  If the Neverseen kidnap you, then your mother will finally have you in place to take your position in your "legacy", whatever that may refer to."  Keefe sat down, brooding.  

Granite walked into the room holding a dark blue leaping crystal.  Forkle nodded at him.  "Ready to go?"  Fitz, Dex, and Biana stood beside the rocky figure as he held up the forbidden leaping crystal and a beam of light took them away.