The Cache

Sophie Foster blinked awake. She shoved off her covers and went downstairs. Yawning, she set the plate of mallowmelt on the table. She had just sat down when she felt a buzz in her pocket. Her Imparter was ringing. Sophie pulled out the sleek device and saw Dex. "Hey Dex, what's up?" she asked. Her cousin looked serious. "We need you at Everglen as soon as possible." "Why?"

"One of the Caches was stolen."

What? The Caches were special items that held secrets about the history of the Elves, and they were held only by the Councillors.

"Whose was it?" she asked. "Bronte's." Dex replied anxiously. "I'll be right over."

Sophie shoved some of the mallowmelt into her mouth, then ran upstairs to change. She threw on a dark red tunic and some pants, as well as her panic switch. "Everglen." Sophie commanded, and she leaped away.

Fits, Keefe, Dex, Biana, Della, and Alden were sitting at the dinner table, all looking tired. Well, except Keefe. No lack of energy in him of course. "Hi, Sophie." Fitz smiled. Sophie turned red. Keefe frowned. More Sophitz, he thought. Alden cleared his throat, and everyone got the message: it was no time for relationship problems. "Councillor Bronte's Cache was lost or stolen while he was on an ambassador trip to Ravagog. He claims that he didn't see or feel anyone take it, just that it was in his pocket one minute, and the next it was gone."

Keefe interrupted. "So the ogres have it. Great." Alden shook his head. "They may not. This sounds like the work of a Vanisher, and ogres don't manifest." Biana looked confused. "I'm sorry, but why are you telling us about this? We're teenagers, not soldiers." "Well, mainly you're just here for moral support." Alden stated. "Bronte chose Sophie to probe his mind to see if she could find any details that he missed."

Great. It was always Sophie.