Losing

Fitz pulled out a leaping crystal and gathered everyone around him. They leapt to Alluveterre, where Mr. Forkle was waiting. "You kids. I told you not to go anywhere." he grumbled. Keefe sat down on the ground. Forkle sensed that something was wrong. "Where's Sophie?" Keefe shook his head. "They took her. Again." The leader of the Black Swan jumped and immediately hailed the Collective. "Sophie's been captured by the Neverseen. We need to find her immediately." Forkle finished his call and put away the Imparter. "I'm going to need the whole story." he said. Fitz told him all about the Neverseen hideout in Ravagog and Vanna's abilities. Mr. Forkle's eyes lit up. "A manifesting ogre?" Vanna stepped forward quietly. "There's something I forgot to tell you. As a result of the Neverseen's gene tinkering, my life span was... shortened." "How long have you got?" Mr. Forkle demanded. "We're going to need you to help find Sophie." The girl sighed. "Fintan estimated three more days." Keefe and the others' jaws dropped. "You're dying?" Linh asked quietly. Vanna nodded, shaking the brown hair out of her eyes.

"Get this girl to Physic, and fast." he directed Keefe. Normally Keefe would have had a snarky response, but today he led Vanna away without a word. Forkle looked at the others. They looked tired and defeated. He cleared his throat.

"We'll find Sophie. We need her. We love her. And the Lost Cities need her."

A/N: I'm aware that Alluveterre was destroyed, this fic is an Alternate Universe or something.  Also, Tam hasn't joined the Neverseen. I hate SM for that.