Fire on Fire?!

Kira's POV (this takes place 10 years ago)

I was sitting at the kitchen table eating a late lunch when the front door opened. I looked up to see my mom walk through. She looked like she always did, but something was off, besides the fact that she was home early.

"Mom?" I said as she walked over to the table and placed down her stuff as well as a couple of files. She looked at me and smiled. "Mom is everything ok? You're home early."
She walked over and placed her hand on my shoulder, "Everything is ok. It's just this case I'm working." I looked up at her then grabbed the files.

My little sister Anna and I loved to help our mom with cases, and she never really minded us looking at them. She always gave me or my siblings credit if we helped and as if on cue, Anna came running down the stairs with our big brother Dylan not far behind.
Upon opening the files I started to read out loud,
Name: Seth Ravera
Age: 18
Height: 5'7
Gender: Male
Wanted for murder, arson, and assault.

We all read the file and looked at each other then back at mom. "If this guy is setting fires and killing people, why haven't they arrested him?" Anna asked.

I reached for the second file, but Mom stopped me. "You don't need to see that one, kiddos. To answer your question, we don't have enough evidence to arrest him, we only believe he is behind all this, there's no hard proof, yet." She closed the file I was holding and placed them back in a pile on the counters. "Where are Liam and Carter?"

I tried to answer but Dylan beat me to it, "They went to a friend's house early this morning to work on a project. Dad cleared it before he went to work." Mom nodded and continued, "Ok, have you all eaten?" We all agreed, and, on that note, I stood up to clean my plate and Anna went back upstairs. After I cleaned up, I sat back down and started skimming through Dylan's old exam book for the Fire Academy along with a Paramedic's exam book, while Dylan headed for the door to grab his coat and keys.

Dylan's POV

As I was grabbing my things I heard a car go speeding by. That wasn't unusual but as I went to open the door, I heard a loud shattering sound. I looked back at my mom and sister then went to see what fell. Our kitchen and living room are conjoined and have large windows. I walked into the living room and saw one of the windows was shattered and in the middle of the broken glass was a brick.

"Mom, someone threw a brick into the house!" I yelled. Next thing I knew Kira was standing next to me holding a bag as she carefully walked over to the brick and moved the glass off the brick picking it up with the bag. "Burn Bitch Burn" Kira whispered, showing it to me. Kira looked up at me worried. We looked out of our now broken window when we heard a car speeding by again.

I saw two boys, 18-19 at best. Then I saw the guns. I went to grab my sister, but she had already seen them and ran to our mom. I looked out one last time before making my way quickly over to them, but before I could reach them, they opened fire. Mom had been waiting for a shot when everything started but when the shooting stopped mom was sitting next to us and was bleeding.

Kira and I kneeled on either side of her. None of us had really been hidden or even protected very well. I looked up to see Anna standing at the bottom of the stairs holding on to the corner of the wall. She heard, and possibly saw, everything but I don't think she could see mom with Kira hovering over her. I looked Kira in the eyes then over to Anna. She nodded and I stood up, walked over to Anna, and took her back upstairs.

Kira's POV

I heard the stairs creak and when Dylan looked up, I knew Anna was there. Mom was still bleeding, she had taken a bullet to the shoulder, it did not look bad, it had gone all the way through. Everything went quiet as I was tending to mom, while Dylan was upstairs till, I heard the car come speeding by again and could not believe it when they opened fire on us for the second time. Mom stood up and returned fire, I was not sure if she hit anyone, but she had taken another hit. Only this time it was straight to the base of her neck. She fell back into me not moving.

"Dylan!!" I yelled as I reached for towels or anything I could use to stop the bleeding. Dylan crouched down beside me and took over applying pressure. I reached down into my pocket and grabbed my phone, attempting to unlock it but it did not work. I tried repeatedly till my hands started shaking. Dylan turned to see me shaking and grabbed my hands with one of his. "Breathe ok, just breathe. Good? Now get a towel, dry your hands, then give me some towels as well." I got to my knees and pulled myself over to where our towels were. I did as he said. I dried my hands and cleaned as much of the blood off my hands and arms, then tossed more towels over to Dylan.

I watched Dylan place the towels against mom's neck and shoulder. I watched him in shock as I called Dad.

Dad: Hello
Kira: Dad!? We need help now please just hurry!?!
Dad: Kira slow down. What happened?!
Kira: It's mom. She's been shot!
Dad: What do you mean she's been shot, Kira what's going on?!?
Kira: I don't know what's going on, there was glass, shooters...I...just hurry!!
Dad: Ok, ok I'm on my way!?

I hung up and looked up at Dylan. His face turned from shocked to scared, or well, sad. I crawled back over to him and placed a hand on his back. "Dad's coming." I said in a whisper. He looked up at me then his eyes darted to my arm. "You're bleeding." I looked down to see the blood trailing down my arm. "It's nothing. I'll live." I reassured him. We heard the car again and we both froze.