two.

' you'll be alright, no one can hurt you now, come morning light, you and ill be safe and sound '

"SHE'S FINE, I'LL CALL YOU BACK IN WHEN SHE'S AWAKE, OKAY?" a voice assured distantly. It felt vaguely familiar, but Wanda couldn't figure out who it was.

"You better," another one said quietly, before the sound of receeding footsteps and a door clicking shut announced their exit. She was sure she recognised that voice even more.

Soft, regular beats of a monitor rung in her ears, but she still couldn't decipher what it was. A part of her wanted to give in to sleep again, to revel in its comforting depths, but the curious spark in her had ignited now, and she couldn't let herself go.

But her eyes were shut, and she couldn't open them. Her next attempt was to try speaking, but her throat was too soar and too dry and she only managed a pitful whimper, too quiet to be heard and enough to be mistaken as a breath.

And so, running out of options, she decided to try to lift her hand, or move it at least. It was odd, she felt like her body wasn't her own, like it was under another's control. She was being taunted by the idea of movement, only to be shut down again.

Her fingers twitched. Trembling intensely as they curled in on themselves. No one would've noti-

"Wanda? Wanda, can you hear me?" It was a male voice, soft and familiar. She knew who it was, she did, it just kept slipping away from her, it kep-

"Can you open your eyes?" Sam. It was Sam. He had asked her a question, though, and part of her wasn't even sure how to answer it. But her body seemed to know, as it reacted on instinct and, under her command, peeled open her eyes gently, pupils expanding as they adjusted to the light. She cringed, and her eyes drooped back shut.

"Hey, Witchy, can you do that again? I'll turn the curtains for you, one sec," he said, and she heard footsteps fade away and the pull of fabric before he returned. His voice was comforting, and she grasped onto it so she wouldn't lose herself back to sleep.

Mustering up her strength, she opened up her eyes again, and was satisfied to find there wasn't blinding light in them anymore.

"Hey," he said, and she attempted a weak smile. "Let me get you some water."

Wanda felt her body relax in relief at the sound of water, the ache in her throat was slowly growing more unbearable, and she wanted nothing more than for it to be satiated.

He moved a plastic cup up to her lips, and she sipped it gently, before it seemed to restore her energy enough for her to grip the cup, greedily gulping down the liquid until it was pried away slowly.