twelve.

'the evil it spread like a fever ahead, it was night when you died my firefly'

A SIGH ESCAPED HER LIPS UNBIDDEN as she found herself sat once again in the all too familiar meeting room

A SIGH ESCAPED HER LIPS UNBIDDEN as she found herself sat once again in the all too familiar meeting room. This time, though, they had shed the cloak of mystery draped over their mission, the sense of unknown which haunted her every time. This time, they knew exactly what they were searching for.

The room seemed oddly empty that day, no glass vase placed neatly on the pearly white windowsill, no adorned pillows nestled in the corners of the couches. The emptiness was uncomfortable, and it prompted her as she squirmed in her chair slightly, an icy breeze blowing against her face from her seat besides the window.

As soon as the last of the team had entered the meeting room, Fury stood up, clearing his throat as he placed down a file of papers, eyes examining everyone in the room for a second before speaking.

"As I expect you all know," the director spoke, voice a deep baritone ringing clearly and authoritatively in the room, "The stones are very much where we expect them to be, but they aren't obtainable."

"They aren't in alliance to their physical form," Loki spoke up grimly, a downward curl in his lip, "It was the only thing keeping them in check, contained. They knew Thanos wasn't worthy so they fled. Its in our best interest to.. reabsorb them."

"Reabsorb meaning?" Steve inquired warily, inspecting Loki with narrowed eyes.

"We have to bind the powers back to their rightful stones, but that'll require an immense force," he explained, trailing off at the end as his eyes flitted up and glanced around the room, a hesitancy in his tone as he continued, "There's a particular power, though, that I know will work."

Immediately, Stephen grimaced in his seat, sitting up straight as his attention was peaked. Exchanging a knowing glance to the trickster who had just spoken, and the room fell into a wave of curiosity.

Wanda furrowed her brow in confusion as Loki refused to meet her eye, and was appearing to be struggling with words, an air of hesitancy surrounding him as he opened his mouth, before closing it again and flitting his gaze to the table. Shutting his eyes closed firmly, he took in a shaky breath as he finally uttered out the words;

"Chaos magic."

Oh.

Pursing his lips, Loki leaned back in his seat, words failing him as his mouth soured, no longer wanting to speak. The words felt like poison in his throat as he spewed them, and they had seared through his skin by now.

"Me?" Wanda breathed out, face slackening at the sudden realisation. Nodding grimly, Loki finally allowed himself to look up at her, but it seemed to make that pang in his chest that much stronger as he watched her face fall into one of confusion and fear. "I- how?"