Soul Fire - Chapter 26

The men of Asillia were stunned into silence. Dathion looked to his open-mouthed mentor, before stepping to Artallah then bending forward at his waist. He dropped to one knee and placed a hand on the hilt of his sword, in a show of respect reserved for Asillian knights.

"The future king of Asillia kneeling before the Sultan of Palia? This is most generous, though I consider myself to be in the company of equals. I regret that circumstance has prevented us from meeting as our customs dictate. The occasion has not been marked by a feast and sharing of wine."

In turn, Artallah bowed to Dathion. He then offered his hand to help Dathion to his feet.

"The nature of my station is one given to me by the Wheel of Fate. I did not earn my title. It was bestowed upon me simply by the timing and place of my birth. I would rather earn the respect of men than expect it by only the giving of my name."

In the periphery of Dathion's vision, Malithas considered Artallah. He placed his fingers to his temple at first, before lowering them to pinch and stroke the stubble on his chin. Artallah turned to him.

"I believe I can read your thoughts, master warrior of Asillia. You wonder how you did not guess my true station. You are blameless for we Palians all look alike!"

Malithas burst into laughter, while chuckles from the indistinguishable Palians echoed around the stones.

"Let us share words and break bread. Toiling through sand is hungry work and I have much to tell my father."

The Palians rummaged through packages to produce hard flatbread, whiter than that baked in Asillia, and crisp, rather than soft. While they ate and talked, Tarnil and his men remained apart from the other Palians, with their eyes turned inward to the stones. Dathion found it curious. Sentries always faced outward. Were they expecting danger from within? He took a closer look at the monoliths. In the darkness between the rocks he spied an entrance, a doorway disappearing down into blackness darker than a moonless night. That void was where the gaze of Tarnil and his men were directed. Dathion turned to Artallah.

"So Tarnil and his men, they are Storm Dancers as well?"

"No we aren't, not anymore."

Dathion thought that Tarnil's attention was focused elsewhere. Like with most assumptions he made, he was wrong.

"I am sorry. I should have asked you, not Artallah."

Tarnil closed his eyes for a long time. When he opened them, he turned his head slowly as though waking from a dream. He dropped from the carriage-sized stone he perched on and moved to sit near Dathion.

"We once were, prince of Asillia. Now we are the Watchers of the Stones. Our order numbers two dozen, with twelve watching these rocks for seven sunsets, before our brothers relieve us of our post."

"But with you they number thirteen."

"I am the captain of our group. I seek no relief from my task."

Dathion opened his mouth to speak, but once Tarnil's words registered he forgot what he was going to say.

"You cannot mean that you never venture from these stones? That would mean that you live in this place, without shelter, nor comforts, and never see your family and friends."

"Duty is why I sacrifice what most would not."

"Or revenge."

Tarnil and Dathion turned to Malithas at the Asillian's words. Malithas in turn stared at the broken swords marking Palian graves.

Dathion fell silent. He could not imagine a life spent in eternal vigilance, with no family, no home, and the company of none other than soliders. Once the silence became uncomfortable, he spoke once more.