Chapter 10 - Fallen

"Michael? Are you alright?" She looked at me worriedly.

"Yeah."

"Just because I said I love you doesn't mean I'm getting back together with you. It means that I love you, yet I can't trust you, so I'm not getting back together with you.. I don't want you to break my heart again like it was broken when I heard the words that came out of Kelly's mouth.." Tears formed in her eyes and she wiped them away, acting like she wasn't crying.

"Mia, it's okay.. I promise that won't happen again," I looked at her in the eyes.

"No, don't say that.." She stood up, walking over to the railing and looking out into the backyard.

"Why not?" 

"Because I know that if I take the bate and date you again, I'm going to get my heart broken again. Also, even not dating you sometimes breaks my heart, when I see you hurting. And we have to face the fact that my parents will never accept us, so even if we do date, we'll be dating for the rest of our lives. My parents won't let me marry you, for sure. My mum already hates you more than she did before. She'll throw a fit if she finds out I'm back with you after what you did. There's just so many reasons to not get back together with you..." She kept her eyes on the backyard. She looked down to the ground, admiring the flowers under the porch that grow against the downstairs portion on the outside of the house. Some were pink-purple day lilies, her favorite. Those were the ones that we had planted together earlier in the spring.

"But there are reasons to get back together with me, right?" I walked over to her and put my hand on her back. She shrugged my hand off immediately.

"A few," she actually looked at me.

"What are they?" 

"That I don't like seeing you hurt when we aren't together," she looked at me and I smiled faintly.

"I am pretty lost and hurt without my other half.."

"No..." She sighed and took a big breath before saying, "No. No. No. No. No!"

"What?" I wondered, "what are you saying 'no' about?"

"I can't," she covered her face with her hands I heard her sniffle.

"Mia, what's wrong?" I asked, rubbing her back and hugging her. She wiggled out of my grip quickly.

"Mia.. Please tell me," I begged.

"I just can't.. You're making this so hard for me," she turned away from me again.

"Making what hard for you?"

"Not getting back together with you. I see you hurt, and I don't like that. I still love you, Michael.." She said, her hands leaving her face. She then shook her head no, "I can't.. No.. No.. Michael get away from me."

"Babe.."

"No! Don't call me that!" She was crying, "I don't want you to hurt me again. I don't even know why I'm here! Why did I come here!?" She scolded herself.

"Mia.. I won't hurt you!"

"That's what everyone says. Then, you trust them and they murder your heart. They hurt your heart so bad that you aren't able to feel anything anymore."

"Mia, I'm sorry," I walked towards her.

"No! Get away from me! Don't you dare hurt me again!" She screamed.

"Mia.."

"Just leave me alone. I want to be alone," she turned to the railing, putting one leg over, then the other. She grasped the railing with her hands and pushed herself up so she was sitting on the railing. Her hands were on either side of her, holding onto the railing.

"Mia, get down from there. You're going to hurt yourself," I told her, trying to grab her waist with my arm and pull her back onto the porch.

"No, Michael. I said leave me alone." Everything was in slow motion now. She wriggled herself out of my grip, her hands fumbling to keep ahold of the railing but failing. Her feet hit the edge of the porch, so now none of her was touching the railing, the thing keeping her from falling. Her feet clumsily danced around, trying to keep her upright on the edge of the porch. But it was too late. She fell off of the porch, and as her helpless body was falling, I screamed, "MIA!!!" and I ran down the steps off of the side of the porch.