Chapter 24 - Cake

Michael came home about thirty minutes later. He dropped his stuff at the door and ran towards me since I had just come out of the kitchen.

"Mia.. I missed you so much, baby," he whispered as he held me a few inches off the ground, hugging me.

"I missed you too.. And I think Jess missed you!" I said, pointing to our cat rubbing against his legs.

"Yeah she did!" He looked down at her, then at me. He had a little bit of a weird expression on his face. I thought maybe he had noticed my belly. I was doing my best to hide it, though.

"Is everything okay?" He wondered.

"Yeah, and I baked a cake to celebrate you getting home."

"You're making it like I just came home from being in the war.."

"But I missed you, and it's been a while."

"Sorry babe, now let's try this cake you made.." He said as we walked into the kitchen. I handed him his slice with the ultrasound picture rolled up in it. I didn't want to tell him to chew carefully though. That would disgust him or make him suspicious.

He grabbed a fork and bit into it. I did the same with mine. About a minute later, he made a weird face and pulled a paper out of his mouth.

"What is this?" He asked me.

"Unroll it and look at it.." was all I told him.

He unrolled it and saw my eleven week ultrasound that I went for this weekend. His eyes widened in amazement, and his jaw dropped.

"Mia.." He looked at me and placed his hand against my stomach. I pulled my shirt up and showed him my eleven-week belly.

"You're going to be a daddy," I whispered softly. He smiled widely at me.

"Look, Michael," I pointed to one of the babies on the ultrasound, then the other.

"Two.." He smiled at me.

"Twins," I nodded.

"Oh my god, babe.." He was still in shock, "we've created two little human beings."

"Yeah," I smiled. I couldn't stop smiling.

"How far along are you? You would have to be somewhat far along.."

"Eleven weeks," I informed him.

"After the night out?"

"Yeah," I whispered, hugging him.

"I love you and our little babies so much.."

"What about thinking of names?" I asked.

"Uh.. For two girls, Olivia and Alyssa?"

"I like it. Middle names?"

"Maybe Olivia Elizabeth and Alyssa Karen?"

"Yeah.. Now for boys, Jaxon Daniel and Josiah David?"

"You've had a while to think, haven't you?"

"I have," I admitted.

"Well, I like that. They'd both be JDC, their initials," he pointed out. I already knew that, of course.

"Yeah."

"I'm so excited, babe.."

"Me too," I thought about our two babies forming inside of my stomach at this very moment. It was amazing to think about, trust me. It's the best thought.