Chapter 21

Wukong repeatedly reminded himself, ' no, Wukong, you can't punch a mortal who's also your family.'

No matter how annoying this stupid song was.

Mei twirled with MK and Red, the three singing loudly, "I'M IN LOVE WITH AN EMO BOY-" Wukong bared his teeth, "Stop it." 

"I FELL IN LOVE WITH AN EMO BOY! ALL I WANT IS AN EMO BOY!" The embarrassed monkey bowed his head down, silently seething. His pain was ignored, "NA NA NA NA NA NA! HE PUTS HIS EYELINER ON HIS DARK SKIN!" 

Wukong inhaled nice and slowly- 

"HE TELLS ME LIES, BUT HE KNOWS ALL MY SECRETS!" 

-and screamed bloody murder. 

The trio stopped in their tracks and stared as Wukong emptied his lungs. Mei huffed, "Well it's not our fault your type's tall, dark and broody with a mix of HotTopic!" 

They were originally supposed to talk about information on The Blacksmith, and somehow after talking about reviewing the plan MK betrayed him and sang the first line of that retched song. Red huffed, "Well at least the emo monkey's type is short, bright, and handsome mixed with a good amount of bratty child." Wukong stood up, "I'm leaving." 

---

Macaque chewed on his fingers, ignoring the stinging pain that came from the action. He knew he was being a hypocrite by scolding his boyfriend for scratching himself when Macaque was clearly chewing on the skin on his fingers. He couldn't help it, he was worried.

The attack was going to happen in two days, and anything could go wrong. 

Macaque was supposed to portal bystanders away and guard the area around the fight; if something happened he wouldn't be there to help. Macaque grumbled out another nonsense word and huffed, whatever. Surely everything would be fine, but the truth was anything could go wrong.

The demon could unleash a weapon that poisoned them...

What if the demon knows they're coming and calls for backup?

The Blacksmith could have a secret ability.

What if someone dies?

Macaque froze, and his anxiety tripled. Injuries were a definite possibility, but death? Death wasn't- couldn't- be an option. Shaky hands clawed at each other, moving over top the bite marks already there.

Macaque paced, quivering. He glanced over at the bed and contemplated trying to sleep. A voice startled him, "GUESS WHO'S BACK!" Macaque whipped around and sighed with relief, "Oh, it's just you..." Macaque instantly embraced Wukong, seeking comfort in it, "I'm glad you're okay."

Wukong quirked an eyebrow but didn't comment. Pulling away, Macaque stretched, "I'm beat, night." He flopped onto the bed, followed by Wukong, "Same here, I'm so done with today." Macaque hummed and smooshed himself against his boyfriend and breathed in the smell of sunshine, dust, and peaches.

He needed to calm down.

---

Wukong yawned and stretched, blinking lazily. He looked down at his crumpled clothes and huffed, he hadn't bothered changing before bed. Wukong looked down at his sleeping moon and smiled softly, if he didn't wake up on his own he'd wake him up. Wukong grimaced to himself at the thought, he hated waking up Macaque.

Ever since they were younger, Macaque had this specific way he'd wake up. He'd stir himself awake, stretch, and flop around to get out of bed. He'd mutter his grievances but eventually get up and ready for the day.

However, if someone or something else woke him up, Macaque would wake up panicked and frantic, eyes wide open and alert. He'd panic either lying down or sitting up until he could register his surroundings. It disturbed Wukong whenever Macaque woke up panicked, and he always felt so...guilty afterward. 

He hated seeing that panic, even if it was purely instinct. Macaque had explained years ago that it was something he'd always had, that he didn't need to feel guilty. But Wukong just couldn't help it.

Wukong gently took Macaque's hands in his own, basking in their warmth. He ran his fingers over Macaque's fingers when he spotted small puncture marks and scratches. The golden monkey paused, slowly examining his counterpart's self-inflicted injuries, and tsk'd, "And he tells me not to scratch my arms."

Luckily for Wukong, Macaque stirred himself awake, stretching and yawning loudly, "Mo'ning..." Wukong smiled gently, still holding his hands. "Morning. So, uh, you wanna tell me about this, " He gestured at Macaque's hands, "Since you're totally being a hypocrite?"

Macaque chewed on his lip, "Uhm, anxious. I'm nervous about the plan, anything could go wrong. And I was just..." Wukong nodded softly, "Hey, I get it. It's nerve-wracking, we don't know a whole lot about The Blacksmith." Macaque closed his eyes and just breathed in and out, trying to settle his nerves.

"But I will do my best to keep the kids safe, okay?" Macaque nodded, "Okay." 

The worry did not go away.

(Something gentle for you guys before I throw a curveball 😇)