Chapter 25

Wukong grimaced as Pigsy wrapped the bandages around his arm. The others sat around him, sipping tea Sandy had provided them. Red Son was busy helping Tang with keeping the room comfortable for the injured occupant.

After successfully taking him back the group had collectively decided to have Wukong stay with Sandy while he recovered since it was easy for everyone to come over while having space for him and Macaque. The only thing they'd done as soon as they'd arrived was have Macaque and Pigsy carefully bathe him before re-bandaging his wounds in one of Sandy's guest rooms.

Wukong stared at the bandages wrapped all around him, baggy shorts being the only thing he was allowed to wear due to his injuries. MK swallowed thickly, "Uh, Monkey King? What... when was the last time you ate or drank?" His successor had noticed how oddly silent his mentor had been ever since they rescued him. 

Wukong tapped his throat and shook his head. Sandy seemed to understand and handed over a cool cup of tea, which Wukong gratefully sipped. "I'm asking 'cause you seem...thinner than usual..." MK adverted his eyes, trying not to offend Wukong. Said monkey only shrugged in response and cleared his throat, "Ugh, a...as long as I've been cap...tured?" 

Macaque glared down at the bed and Mei's fists tightened around her cup while the others had...their own reactions.

Pigsy wordlessly got up and headed for the kitchen, "I'll need to borrow your kitchen, Sandy." Sandy simply hummed before refilling Wukong's empty cup. Macaque carefully ran a hand through Wukong's hair, wary of the bandage wrapped around his head. Wukong leaned into the touch, "I missed this. I missed you all." His voice was rough but had a melancholy twinge in the tone.

MK, Mei, and Macaque touched him as gently as they could, their eyes brimming with tears, "Never do anything like that again!" Mei ignored her tears, scorning Monkey King, "If you do that ever again I'll kill you!" Monkey King simply smiled at her, "I'll do anything to protect my family, that includes you kids."

Tang and Red both acted as emotional support along with Sandy as MK and Mei sobbed, "You won't have to anymore, okay?" Tang nodded softly, "You'll both be stronger than what you need to stay safe. Monkey King is just acting out on what any other one of us would've done to protect each other." Red Son patted Macaque's shoulder, "Don't burst a vein, you already acted out war crimes on the bastard." 

Macaque smirked abruptly, "Yeah I did." Wukong simply rolled his eyes and snorted, "You created whole violations on Feng." MK sniffled, "I-Is that his name?" Wukong hummed in thought, "I think it was Hao Feng. He was very sadistic, had a weird obsession with Europe's twisted history." Macaque stroked his cheek carefully, "You don't have to talk about anything that happened." 

Wukong stared down at himself and leaned back against the pillows propping him up, wincing, "...But what if I don't want to keep the memories by myself?" Sandy smiled his warm, calming smile, "Time heals all if you let it. I'll be open to talk about it and I'm sure everyone else will, too. But it would be best if we gave this time so we can all heal a bit first."

Wukong nodded, "Okay. And MK, Mei? I'm sorry I left again." MK shook his head in reassurance, "No, we're sorry we couldn't stop him!" Mei quickly agreed, "Yeah, you were just looking out for us!" Red snorted in disbelief, "It's nobody's fault. You did what you deemed necessary at the time." 

Pigsy walked in, handing Wukong a small plate of dumplings, "I wish I could give you more, but your stomach's been without food for days on end. So we need to play it safe, that means small portions." Wukong didn't mind, carefully taking the cooled dumplings in his bandaged hands and nibbling at them. Macaque stopped him, "Don't, you're injured. The least I could do is help you for taking so long to save you." 

Wukong blushed brightly, "Oh-" Macaque held up a dumpling and Wukong bit into it, suddenly more motivated to eat. The others snorted in amusement and Mei snuck in a couple hundred pictures. Macaque continued the cycle of letting his boyfriend finish a dumpling and then handing him tea to wash it down. 

Soon night fell and MK and Mei announced a sleepover which Sandy happily allowed.  Tang sat down in the pile of blankets and pillows on the ground and grinned, "Will you be telling any stories, Macaque?" Everyone else settled down while Macaque plopped down next to Wukong on the bed, "Alright, this story is about a bird and a dragon." 

Wukong closed his eyes and sighed, surrounded by his family. This was all he could have ever hoped for.

---

"Monkey King!" MK sprinted towards his master, grinning widely, "Did you see that?! I totally could've won!" Macaque laughed out loud, "You almost got me there, bud!" Mei plopped down next to Wukong, dropping her sword with a sigh, "Ugh, I'm beat!" MK playfully held out his staff at her, "Maybe I could beat you, Mei!"

Mei immediately stood up, sword poised, "You're on!" The two ran off together to spar while Macaque squatted down next to his counter part. Wukong nuzzled him, "Hello, tall, dark and broody." Macaque nuzzled back and laughed, "Back at ya, short, bright and handsome." Wukong playfully batted at him, "I am not that short. You're just built like a tree!" 

Macaque wrapped his arms around Wukong, "Nah, you just happen to be a shrub." The two watched the younger duo spar, observing them. Wukong breathed in deeply, "I'm glad we got a second chance." Macaque looked down at Wukong, suddenly feeling nostalgic, "Yeah. Yeah, me too."

(Okay, so technically that's the end of the book but I will post a skit next chapter of our favorite monkeys getting married and the chaos that comes with it! That and the fact I'm making another book that is about the Possessed King. 

NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART, I WARNED Y'ALL)