Chapter 6

Macaque had never been naive, even when he was younger. A bit too trusting, sure. Did he tend to share too much information? Yes, but he was not naive.

At first, he didn't understand the odd stares he was given. He couldn't figure out the meaning behind the strange sneers Wukong would receive. As they got older, however, the odd stares were directed at his ears. The sneers were revealed as insults towards the dangerous Monkey King...

And Macaque became a bit less trusting and more reserved.

He still didn't understand why his older self used glamour on his ears and eye, though. Macaque had no problem with his ears and he wore his scars with pride. Maybe it was because of how he received this specific scar. He wasn't really one to feel anger like his future self, either.

But after he found Wukong under that mountain, and witnessed the way he was fed, he became angry. It only grew when a sobbing Wukong told him about the furnace and about how lonely he'd been. He became less friendly as the stupid punishers chased him away, doing their best to keep Wukong isolated. And he started to trust less and less, to the point he was sure Tripikata was using Wukong. Especially after he witnessed the fillet being used.

Used to cause excruciating pain on someone who was like a child, his friend, his other half, his Peaches.

And to be honest, he didn't really trust these 'friends' of theirs. That is, until he saw the way they acted with Wukong. They didn't mind how touchy he was, how chaotic he could get, or his child-like demeanor. If anything, they seemed to love the way he was.

They also treated Macaque with respect, not at all put off by how he looked. He also really like Mei and MK, they were great kids. He found Sandy and Tang interesting and comfortorble, and he thought Pigsy and Red Son were funny. And they all seemed to enjoy his story telling, which was a bonus.

Memories also trickled in, but not of him terrorizing them, but of him hanging out with them. Being treated with forgiveness he didn't deserve. It made him feel...wanted, loved, deserving.

Wukong seemed to feel the same way, he adored his successor like his own son. He loved getting petted and carried around by Sandy. He liked listening to Tang's rambling. He liked chattering on and on with Pigsy and Mei. 

And Macaque was more than happy to trust these people.