Chapter 8

As another gust of wind blew out and shoved Wukong into a wall, there was no denying it.

Macaque was sick.

"For the last time, Peaches, I'm fine!" Macaque grumbled and continued walking about, collecting flowers under the moonlight. Wukong leaned forward and rested a hand on Macaque's cheek, "Nope, you have a fever. And fever means bed rest!"

Macaque swatted his hand away and huffed, "I'm warm because it's hot outside!" Wukong was about to retort that despite the fact it was summer, it was cooler in the nighttime when a sudden look flashed and Macaque sneezed, a gust of wind knocking over Wukong and snapping a tree in half. Macaque blinked owlishly then shrugged, "Pollen got in my nose." 

Macaque didn't get sick often, but when he did, it was difficult getting him to rest. The wind was also a problem.

"Plum, just admit it! You aren't feeling well. You're sluggish and you keep sending me flying!" Wukong rubbed his back with a pout while Macaque rolled his eyes, still picking flowers. Normally Wukong would have his generals take care of Macaque, but he seemed to be even sicker than normal and Wukong had stopped them for their own safety.

"Sorry, like I said, pollen." Wukong's eye twitched, patience running thin, "Let's go." Macaque quirked a brow, "What? Where?" Wukong slowly walked over, a shadow covered his face and he smirked evilly, "Pigsy's."

Macaque's eyes widened before he bolted, wheezing. "NUH UH, COME BACK HERE!" Wukong chased after him, a blur of gold.

Macaque suddenly coughed, stumbled, and flopped down onto the ground. Wukong caught up but the coughing didn't stop, "Macaque!" He lifted Macaque into his arms, summoned his cloud, and raced over to Pigsy's.

Wukong didn't know how to take care of illnesses, he hadn't ever had a need for it. But now he felt that familiar guilt creeping up, all because he couldn't do anything to put his feverish companion at ease.

Macaque choked on a cough, exhausted. He only remained limp, eyes half-shut and his body felt like it was on fire. The air rushing by seemed to cool him down, and he closed his eyes. 

Wukong held him tighter, landed, and rushed over to the door. He knocked frantically, hoping someone would hear him despite the unholy time of the night.

Angry grumbling could be heard and the door unlocked, "Who in their right mind is out here at 12:25 in the-" As the door swung open, he paused, "...Monkey King?" MK yawned and peaked over, equally confused. 

Wukong histerically explained, "It's Macaque, he's sick. Like really, really sick! I-I don't know what to- no don't touch him!"

Pigsy pulled his hands away in surprise, "Okay, okay. Lay him down on the couch, I'll call Sandy over. He's better at medicine and tea and whatnot." MK scrambled to grab blankets while Wukong gently laid down his burning counterpart. 

"Ugh, Wukong I'm fine..." A sneeze rang out, followed by a blast of wind as Macaque's eyes drifted closed again and he silently apologized.

Wukong got up quickly after being blasted down and grasped his Mango's hand, "Shh, rest. You'll be fine." Macaque trembled, big beads of sweat slid down his flushed face. Wukong didn't bother to look up as Pigsy placed a thermometer under Macaque's arm.

Until Pigsy inhaled sharply.

"105°F (40.5556°C)! MK GET SOME ICE PACKS!" Wukong's eyes widened and Macaque only responded with gibberish and a cough. That's when he noticed the small wilting flowers still tucked in Macaque's hands and scarf. Tears pooled in his eyes and he smiled shakily, "You'll be fine. You'll feel like hot garbage, but it'll be fine!" 

MK carefully placed Ice packs around and on Macaque while Pigsy let Sandy in, murmuring to him. Wukong didn't bother watching them enter the kitchen. He didn't even twitch as MK placed a blanket over Macaque. And he definitely wasn't on the verge of crying.

A sudden thought hit him, what if Macaque died again? What if he didn't come back again? Wukong tightened his grip, Macaque will be fine. He was in good hands.

Trust them, he will be alright.

Sandy helped the ill monkey sit up and drink an array of teas.

MK helped keep the shadow user cool.

Pigsy kept an eye, on both Macaque and Wukong.

And Wukong thanked them endlessly until he fell asleep next to Macaque.

---

After days of rest and constant care, Macaque was free to go. Wukong scolded Macaque for scaring everyone after a bunch of close calls and thanked everyone again.

Macaque grimaced, "Thank you everyone, um, and I'm really sorry." Pigsy snorted, "Take better care for yourself next time, then. Now take your sleep-deprived boyfriend and go home. You both could use the rest."

Macaque sputtered, "He's not-" Pigsy glared at him, "Don't even finish that scentence."

And as the two monkeys headed home, Macaque kept replaying the words over and over again. He looked over at his Peaches and blushed.

Boyfriend, huh?