Twenty

Chapter twenty

The days grew shorter as I enjoyed the company with Henry, we became attached to the hip and for that alone I felt blessed and in pure bliss. I wished that I could slow down the days so I could enjoy our company more. Even going to sleep was bothersome for me when all I wanted was to be lapped up in his grasp.

Chloe and Henry still saw one another occasionally, coffee dates and what have you and I had no idea if they were sleeping with one another but I decided not to say anything- for now. I knew Henry needed time to configure his emotions though it didn't hurt me any less. Frustration buried deep within me, I wasn't one to be second best at all, but I was scared of losing what me and Henry had.

Winter drew in, snow piles evident on the once patch of green grass. The windows becoming frosted but beautifully so- the surroundings made my inner childish persona unleash. Wanting to bury myself in the snow piles and make snow angels. I always enjoyed winter but we didn't always get snow, it was a hit or miss each year if we got gifted with the white blankets.

Shuffling my feet as I wore my black laced doc martens with a too big-oversized black knitted jumper I decided to give in to that childish desire. Plummeting straight into the snow I laid my head back, my hair now sprawled all over the place which only made me giggle. I truly loved life sometimes, what it had to offer could be so beautiful.

Breathing heavily I began to create condensation in the air- my body now limp in the snow bed. "Why won't Henry choose me..."
My eyes dancing effortlessly into the greyish clouds as the sun lay peacefully behind them not wanting to be seen. I wanted Henry so badly, it made me feel sick with jealousy that I was being used when wanted rather than just being one with him.

Grazing my now paled and cold ridden fingers into the ground I attempted distracting myself from the looming salty tears in my eyes- my barrier ever so close to breaking. "Choose me Henry" Sighing aloud again, closing my eyes tightly I swallowed back my emotions. Not wanting to feel as unworthy as I do now, maybe I was being selfish for my emotions.
Before I could say anything else to myself footsteps began to make their way to me, evidently heard from the crunching of snow beneath them.

It was my Henry.

Laying beside me Henry wore a black beanie and a grey puffer coat which made him look even more muscly than he was- if humanly possible. "Enjoy the snow are we Mel?"
Henry's face pulled into a smirk as he stared ever so intently at me, his nose already turning a light dash of pink from the cold weather.
"Yes...It's rather picturesque right now, wouldn't you say?"

Batting an eyelid and a chuckle following after Henry responded "picturesque... what a big word Melanie. Well done!"
Frowning I slightly got hurt by the joke, he didn't have to make me feel like I was dumb and couldn't fathom 'big' words. "Wow.. okay Henry" I spoke dryly.

Frowning he clasped his hand into mine, though he was smart and wore gloves which somewhat made me warm "I'm only joking" I nodded lightly but my pained heart was only using that as an excuse- I was sad because of him still seeing Chloe. "Look Henry can I ask something?"

Henry drew a look or concern before nodding "of course, ask me anything"

"Do you sleep with Chloe..."

Gulping back a light amount of saliva I felt free that I could ask him that, not looking forward to the response but free nonetheless. "No, I don't sleep with her"

A slight smile crept on-to my cheeks "then what do you want with her?"

Running a hand through my hair the yet again daunting reply was about to be answered and I wasn't sure if I wanted to hear it. "I can't let her go yet Melanie. I loved her-

Quickly standing up I brushed the snow from my legs, the tears yet again prickling my eyes. "No Henry, you still love her"

Henry followed suit by standing up, edging closer towards me and holding my arms "I-I don't know"
I shook his grip on my arms off me and instead looked at him with distaste "what about me?"

Henry frowned, those eyes of his now looking at his buried shoes. "Melanie, I care for you"

Scoffing I shook my head "you care so much for me that you only want to fuck me when convenient ?"

"It's not like that-

"It's okay Henry. I'm an idiot and I will let you under my skin and in my heart, I broke down barriers for you I want you not just when it suits me"

Silence passed us heavily and it made me on edge more than anything. I knew Henry was uncomfortable by this conversation but I didn't know how much more I could take. Yes I was essentially his fake wife- a contract of falsified lies but I have genuine affection for this man, feelings that have now blossomed into something I cannot control.

"Let me put it this way Henry..."

Peering at me intently he ran a hand on his arm. "What would you do if I decided to call up Tom and ask to start seeing him again?"

"Would it even hurt you?"

Henry then pulled me in close, noticing that a few tears had made their way down my rose picked cheeks "of course it would hurt me"

Hugging Henry back I buried my head into the crook of his neck "then- stop hurting me"

Wiping his thumb across my face and catching a tear he smiled weakly at me "I will stop hurting you Melanie, I just need to finish things properly with Chloe, I need to know if what I have is still love for her"

Those very words broke my heart, Henry still loved Chloe. I so desperately wanted my name to be configured in that sentence- how I yearned for this man to be mine.

"Then, work it out. But we have to stop this... for now" my words were half spoken, almost hesitant. I didn't want to be smart and deny myself from being affectionate with Henry but I felt so used and my heart couldn't deal with it.

"I-I am sorry" Henry stuttered, his jaw tightening as he began to look upset. "I don't want to stop what we have"

Knitting my brows together all I could do was scoff "you want the cake and want to eat it too? It doesn't work that way Henry. It's me or her. For the mean time, let me see what Tom is doing"

This alerted Henry who was now fuming with anger, his jaw even more tightened with his nose lightly crinkling "don't"

Brushing imaginary dust off my stomach I gave Henry a weak smile "then choose"