CHAPTER 22

Chris' POV
October 5th, 2019

- Are you excited, baby? - I enquire while extending my hand to hold Dakota's.

We are sitting in the back of the car heading to the parking lot where I am hosting a birthday party for her. She is beaming with joy when she nods staring at me. She looks so cute with her hair down and recently cut bangs which are shorter than usual making her look younger. She is wearing a white jumpsuit that fits her like a glove and black high heels tied around her ankles. I take her hand to my lips and kiss her knuckles.

- I can't wait to see what you've planned now

- You'll love it - I lean and kiss her. She hasn't stopped smiling and I feel like I am floating because I love to be responsible for her happiness.

I have completely made these two days about her. I woke her up yesterday morning on her actual birthday saying that we were going to grab breakfast out the house. Dakota was certainly not expecting to find a retro black 1965 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 parked in front of the garage door waiting for her to drive. I'd never forget how she reacted covering her mouth with her hands to stifle a cry and then, suddenly turning on her feet to leap into my arms. She took me by surprise and we almost ended up on the floor.

- Oh my God! - she said holding my face between her hands and giving me butterfly kisses while I was keeping her up by her behind as she had her arms and legs wrapped around me - I can't believe you've got me this car!

- Aren't you going to check it out? - I joked as I put her down so she would go straight to the car. She rapidly got in the driver's seat while I remained standing next to it. I leaned forward to look inside at her who was touching everything like a little girl with a new toy. She placed both hands on the steering wheel and breathed out -

- I love it so much! - her tone was really shrill which made me laugh out loud. I got my torso inside of the car looking for her mouth to kiss her and she corresponded me eagerly - Thank you, baby. Thank you so much! - she uttered brushing her lips with mine -

- I love you - I whispered and bit her lower lip. I held back and stare at her bright blue eyes that were full with joy - Let's go for a ride!

 I held back and stare at her bright blue eyes that were full with joy - Let's go for a ride!

She was talking nonstop about my gift during the dinner we had last night at my house with our relatives and closest friends

She was talking nonstop about my gift during the dinner we had last night at my house with our relatives and closest friends. The band and Phil come over, too and Guy was especially chatty because that's something Dakota and him share: their love for vintage cars. I asked him for help to choose and I definitely got it right judging for Dakota's excitement

We were going to arrive in it to the party but she plans to drink without restrictions tonight and she doesn't want anyone driving Dixie but herself. She has named it that way so if she's ever in a crash she can tell people 'My Dixie wrecked'. Yes, very inappropriate and very Dakota who apparently is not turning 30 but 14.

We get to the party and everything looks like it is supposed to. There are white balloon arches going across the sky marking the place where we are celebrating that this gorgeous woman was born so I could meet her and have a happy life with her. I had an Airstream set up with a bar and several food trucks including a Van Leeuwen ice cream one so guests can eat or drink whatever they wish. Wooden benches have been set up facing the big stage which is surrounded by feathered pampas grass arrangements. Dakota is delighted with the concept of the party and the décor.

When we get out of the car, she is immediately stolen from me. Everyone wants a piece of Dakota tonight. Some of our guests come to hug her and say happy birthday so I decide to step into the party to give her some space. I'll have her by my side later when the performances on the main stage begin. There are going to be several surprises for her that will surely make her shed a tear because my Dakota is a sensitive creature. I am so nervous to show her everything I have prepared. I walk towards the bar and order a drink while enjoying the Led Zeppelin songs being played on stage by the tribute band Kashmir who I hired because that's her favorite music.

The bartender hands me my gin tonic and I am taking my first sip when a man I haven't seen before stands besides me

The bartender hands me my gin tonic and I am taking my first sip when a man I haven't seen before stands besides me. Dakota was in charge of inviting everyone and there are some guests who have brought companionship so there's people here that I don't know.

- I'll have whatever this lucky guy is having - he says and I am now interested to know who he is. He is looking at me when I turn - Strong move, Chris. Led Zeppelin's music? She's gonna love it.

- I am sorry. You have me in disadvantage here... have we met?

- We haven't - he smirks like there is an inside joke that I definitely don't get - I am Jordan. Jordan Masterson - His name sounds familiar but I can't remember where I have heard it - I am the ex-boyfriend - he extends his hand and I shake it politely while keeping a straight face. Jordan gets his drink and I raise my glass up to propose a toast -

- For Dakota! - he gives me a wicked smile and we clink our glasses-

- Yes, for her and all her talents! - he says. Oh! He is trying to play rough... I can play rougher -

- And for you! For letting her go so I can have her... and all her talents for myself now - I rapidly drink the rest of my gin tonic. I place the glass on the bar and pat him on the shoulder - I hope you enjoy the party

Jackass!