Chapter 9: When in Bonesborough...

"COME ON, LUZ, GIMME A LITTLE MORE OOMPH!"

"I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN, VINEY!"

"WE'RE SO CLOSE... LET'S GET THAT BABY OUT!"

"AAAAGHHHHH!! WHY DID I EVER AGREE TO THIS?!"

"You got this, Cutie, just hang in there!"

"URRGHH... WHERE'S AMITY? WHY ISN'T SHE HERE YET?"

"I tried her scroll, she said she's still at the beach!"

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! DOESN'T SHE KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!"

"She's got her own thing going on now, Luz! You'll have to do without!"

"I SEE A HEAD. THIS IS IT, LUZ, GIVE IT ALL YOU GOT!"

"AAAAAAARRRRRGHHHH!"

"YOU TOO, PUDDLES!"

"RRRRWWWRRRK!!"

Emira cheered on Luz, Viney and Puddles as they all pulled on the birthing chain attached to the soon-to-be-born calf of an expecting spider demon. The Bat Queen had brought it to the field of Viney's clinic, citing that her demon was having trouble expelling the calf for the last half-hour.

Luz had acquiesced to Viney's call for assistance since whenever she or Amity help out with a request from the Bat Queen (who quickly became a regular customer of Viney's since the clinic opened,) in addition to not having to pay rent for the mont...

Luz had acquiesced to Viney's call for assistance since whenever she or Amity help out with a request from the Bat Queen (who quickly became a regular customer of Viney's since the clinic opened,) in addition to not having to pay rent for the month, they were also given a cut of the giant palisman's generous payment. Regardless, Luz would have second thoughts once Viney began her diagnosis. The mention of swollen chelicerae, dilating abdomens and amniotic sac ruptures made her queasy as if she were watching a Cystbusters marathon. Now that the chain broke, negating their efforts of the last hour, Luz was more than happy to just pay the rent and let that be the end of it. She and Viney were sprawled out on the ground as Puddles checked on them.

"Well, that was a bust..." The vet proclaimed as she examined the broken chain. "... literally. Take five, ladies."

Just then, the Bat Queen came down from the roof of the clinic where she watched the procedure with bated breath. "What happen? Is baby all right?!"

"Baby is..." Viney caught herself. "The baby's fine, Bat Queen. From what I can determine, it's got strong and healthy chitin, making for a tough exoframe. It's breathing is fine for now, so we'll take a moment to rest up while I make some more soap, as well as fix and double cast a stronger reinforcement spell on this chain. Don't you worry, we'll get that little guy outta there."

The Bat Queen sighed in relief. "Thank you, Doctor Viney. I appreciate hard work of you and friends."

"Don't mention it, B.Q.." Luz groaned while still wiped out on the ground.

As Viney went back inside to get to her tasks, the sound of Azura's staff powering up alerted Emira to the device set next to her. "Hey, Luz, your phone's going off! Want me to get it?"