max mayfield - prompt 4

word count: 500+

4."was i not enough for you?"

---------------

"Max, slow down! I just want to talk," you stammered, stumbling after your ,now apparently ex, girlfriend.

"I told you, Y/n. We're done, that's it. I thought that not speaking to you for a month gave that away but obviously not," she huffed, continuing down the sidewalk. Your heart tightened in your chest.

"C-can I... can you give me an explanation at least? Please? You can't just ignore me then break up with me without any context. Just give me something," You all but begged. There was no response. Your breath grew labored as she continued to speed up. Tears slowly builded behind your eyes. "Honey, please," your voice broke. She froze in her spot and you followed. Still she didn't say a word. "I-I know things have been tough recently. With... with everything that happened at the mall," she went rigid. "I know you've been dealing with a lot but you don't have to deal with it alone, Max. I'm here. You can talk to me. It's all gonna backfire on you if you keep holding all of that shit in-"

"Maybe I just don't wanna talk to you, Y/n," she snapped, turning around face to face. You flinched back, your lip trembled slightly. Your brows furrowed to try and understand it all.

"So it was me? Was I not enough for you? Was I too overbearing? I'm sorry if I was-"

"You didn't let me breathe, Y/n. I get it you wanted to help, but you can't help me in the way you think you can," she cut you off. You bit your lip trying to come up with a response. Something to just keep her here. To keep her willing to be with you.

"If that's what it is, I can back off. I just don't want you to cut me out. I don't want to lose you Max." Max stuttered out a breath.

"You already did." She could see your heart visibly break.

"W-what do you mean?"

"You know it's true, Y/n. Like I said you can't help me and that savior complex of yours is not gonna stop anytime soon so stop lying to yourself and me." You took a step forward, reaching out for her.

"No, no I'll give you space. I swear. Whatever you want, Max. I- whatever you want. I'll do-"

"Then just stop," she stated, taking a step back as you took another one forward. "I can't do this, Y/n. I can't deal with us right now. It'll just be you chasing after me and me running away. I'm sorry, but I just can't. It's too much for me and it'll just end in disaster for you. So if you really want to do something for me... just stop."

Silence took over the atmosphere. Tears welled in your eyes and threatened to fall. Her gaze wouldn't meet yours. Realization settled in that she's just not going to settle.

You sniffed, wiping your nose and looking down.

"Alright," you whispered. "If that's what you want. I'll go," you began walking backwards. "Goodbye, Max." Swiveling yourself around you started off in the opposite direction. Wiping your eyes with your sleeve as the tears began to fall.

Max stood in her same spot. Watching as you go. Her own lip trembled as you disappeared behind the corner.

She thought this is what she wanted.

She thought this was for the best.

However watching you leave was more painful than anything of the events at the mall.