max mayfield - prompt 27

word count: 400+

27."wow i really can't speak, huh? must be because of how pretty you look."

--------------

Your fingers thumbed across the table. Your chin propped in your palm. Another ring of the doors bell sounded and your gaze darted in the direction of the noise. But you were only met with disappointment from the sight.

Sighing, you leaned back into the booth's seat. A breath left your lungs as you looked down at your water, the condensation running down the side of it while the ice slowly melted.

The waiter from the counter eyed you wearily. Having said previously that if you wished to hold the seat for any longer you had to order something. Well those fries were long gone as your second cup of water became warm.

Three o'clock. That was the time that was scheduled. But as the time grew closer to five your hope has continued to be dwindled away. Clearing your throat your feet shuffled under the table. Edging to move. Deciding you had spent more than enough time waiting, you stood. Pulling out your wallet, a bell sounded.

Huffing breaths sounded in front of you. You snapped your gaze up. Taking in the sight of Max Mayfield herself. Your date. She leaned a hand onto the wooden platform, her back rising and falling.

"H-hey," she heaved out. Gulping in the air and coughing she tried to form a sentence.

"Max?" A confused expression casted over your features. "Are you okay?" She nodded feverishly.

"Oh yeah I just," another sucked in breath. She chuckled lightly. "Wow I really can't speak, huh? Must be because of how pretty you look." Your mouth slammed shut, eyes widening at the sudden compliment. Shaking yourself out of shock you directed your attention back to the breathless girl in front of you.

"T-thank you but... why- what happened?" She took a moment to respond.

"I couldn't get a ride. I was... I asked Billy, but he said he had somewhere to go. He was already in a pissy mood I didn't want to make it worse. So I ran here."

"Max that's like ten miles."

"I know. I should be on the cross country team. I didn't know I could do that." You laughed, sitting back down into the booth as she slouched down into it herself.

"You could've called. I could've gotten you a ride." She shrugged.

"I didn't want to be a bother," she mumbled, picking up a menu.

"Max, you could never be a bother. Especially for something like this." The girl peaked over the laminated paper, eyes meeting yours.

"Either way I'm sorry I'm late. This wasn't what I planned for an ideal date." You shushed her.

"There's no need to apologize. I'm just glad you made it." Smiles were exchanged between the two of you before she looked back down at the many option from the menu.

"Call the waiter over. I'm so hungry I could eat a horse."