jane hopper/eleven - prompt 34

word count: 600+

34." friends don't look at each other that way. "

--------------

"You got an eight?"

"Go Fish."

"How about a jack, Mike?"

"Nodda."

"Do you have an ace?"

"Go fishin' bitch."

"There are nicer ways to say that, Dustin."

"I had to switch it up a bit. You guys are boring."

"Y/n, how bout that four huh?"

...

"Y/n?"

...

"Y/n!" You snapped your head in Max's direction.

"Hm?" She chuckled lightly.

"Do you have a four?" You fumbled with your hand to check before pulling out the four of hearts. The girl cheered in victory and looked over to ask Mike for a three.

Your eyes snapped up to their previous position. El laughed as Dustin flung a card at Max for her third card in a row. You smiled lightly. Her eyes met yours briefly. Her own smile grew as she looked back at Will who asked for a six.

Your gaze was broken however when you felt a nudge to your knee. Looking over you met Lucas' eyes. Who smirked.

"What?" You mumbled as he huffed out a laugh.

"You seem a little distracted." Rolled your eyes playfully, you responded,

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Lier," Lucas claimed. "Since when did you and El look at each other all googly eyes." You furrowed your brows.

"Like I said. I have no idea what you're talking about." The boy shook his head, nudging you once more. There was a moment of silence between you as Lucas' turn came. Followed by yours. Mike handed over a two but Max called Go Fish.

"Seriously though. What's going on between you two," Lucas whispered. Letting out a sigh, you propped your elbow on the table. Putting your hand on your chin.

"We're just friends, Lucas." He huffed out a laugh.

"Friends don't look at each other that way."

You bit your lip. Sneaking another peak at Eleven before snapping your eyes away when hers, when they yet again met yours. Grumbling to yourself you placed your head in your hand.

"Yeah, I know," you muttered.

"Y/n, do you have a queen?" Oh there it is. The soft sweet voice of your siren.

"Yeah," you replied breathlessly. Reaching out across the table she took the card. Your fingers brushed against hers. What felt like a jolt lightning flashed through your. Only it was the good kind. Whatever that means. She smiled gently and looked over to Dustin.

"Want me to play wingman?" Lucas offered, slapping a hand down to your shoulder. You quirked a brow in amusement.

"And how would you do that?" He shifted in his seat before standing and leaning down to your ear.

"I got you," he simply stated. Lucas walked around the table before heading upstairs. Moments later he came back down with beverages. He placed a coke in El's hands and pointed over to you. Then seemily started a meaningless conversation with Dustin as she stood and made her way over to you. Lucas winked over from across the card and settled himself in his new seat.

"Hi," she greeted and sat down, placing the drink in front of you. You grabbed it and cracked open the lid.

"Hey," you replied back. You took a swig and offered it to El. She took it and followed your actions. "Are you having fun?"

"Yeah, it took a little while to learn but it's pretty easy," Eleven explained.

"That's good," you stated, patting her thigh lightly. She smiled, enclosing your hand in hers. Squeezing it gently.

"Yeah, well I had a pretty good teacher to help me." You rolled your eyes playfully.

"Stop it. You flatter me two much."