steve harrington - prompt 9

word count: 600+

9."I wish I could go on just one date where I didn't have to use the Heimlich maneuver." "Dude, what goes on on your dates?" "I wish I knew!"

-----------------

The date was going great. Steve had picked you up at 5:30 on the dot, just like he said he would. He drove the two of you to this new diner he was excited to try out. He heard from someone that the fries there were the bomb.

Oh how accurate they were.

Everything was fine... at first. The two of you got a booth, one that had a great view for that fact. Once you got your menus you both surfed through the items to decide.

Quietly playing footsie under the table with a couple giggles being shared. Steve got a classic cheeseburger meal while you ordered the special they had for the day.

"You know pie is harshly underrated," Steve mumbled as he looked through the desert menu.

"That is so true! Honestly, it doesn't get enough credit. There are just so many types that are overlooked," you replied, nodding. Steve sat the plastic covers print down.

"You, you get me. There are so many people that think cake is better but no, it's pie. With pie there's so many types: blueberry, raspberry, pecan, coconut creme-"

"I love coconut cream."

"It's so good! And there's just so many other kinds but with cakes it's basically vanilla, chocolate, carrot, and red velvet. There's no variation."

See? Everything was going great! Steve was such a funny, sweet, and amazing guy. You were having a such fun time.

Until those damn fries had to ruin it.

The waiter came and served your food. Halfway through your meals you just so happened to say a joke that came from your amazing humourous mind while Steve was in the middle of taking a fry. He let out a rumbling laugh and the fry slipped out of his hand... down into his throat.

It seemed to all happen in slow motion.

The fry falling from his grasp. It landing in his mouth. Disappearing from sight. And both of your eyes widening as flashbacks from your last date with Jerry Stale a couple months ago appeared in your mind. How he had choked on a cherry from a milk shake.

You waited for a moment to see if Steve could clear it out himself but the more he coughed and patted his chest the more anxious you became.

Reflexively you stood pulling Steve to his feet as well when you realized it wasn't coming back up. You moved to stand behind him, placing your hands in the right position and pumping your arms.

Each push on his body made him lurch with you.

Finally after what felt like minutes the fry flew from his mouth and Steve slumped forward in the booth's table. You rested a hand on the booth itself to steady yourself. People came up to the both you asking if everything was alright. With a wave of a hand they were dismissed.

When you officially caught your breath you plopped back into your seat.

"I wish I could go on just one date where I didn't have to use the Heimlich maneuver," you huffed. Steve, who's was still trying to calm himself, peeked up from his hunched spot on the table to look at you.

"Dude, what goes on on your dates?" You looked at him exasperated.

"I wish I knew!" you exclaimed. Steve looked over you once more before slouching into his own seat.

"Welp, look like we got to get married now, Y/n. I mean you did save my life it's the least I could." You snorted, rolling your eyes.

"The least you could do?" Steve nodded, still looking a little dazed and running a hand through his hair.

You leaned across the table, fixing a couple of strands for him and he watched you queitly.

"Thanks though really. I'm surprised you're even still here. Having to stop someone from choking ain't on the top of my list personally for first dates." You smiled softly, patting his cheek gently.

"Just don't do it on the second one, Harrington."