Chapter Six- Mate

Found 

Chapter Six- Mate

.

"Excuse me?" Brandon scoffs, crossing his arms across his chest his eyes rolling almost in disbelief. He grabbed a chip from the bag and chewed on it before swallowing. 

It was scary. The resemblance. 

"Why do wolves think they can do whatever the fuck they want?" he demands and runs his finger through his hair. "Like. I mean, they can, but fuck where's the self control? Whose ass do I gotta kick?" he asks. He comes back and takes a seat next to me, giving a soft smile. 

"Jamie scares me" I admit sheepishly and take in a small breath. "He's been an ass through and through since I met him. And even Marcus seems like a total ass." 

"He is" Brandon laughs. "I kinda miss the first Marcus" he adds. I must've given him a weird look because he takes another chip and throws it in his mouth. "When I formed the alliance- with Nate- the Alpha at the time was a man named Marcus and he was challenged by the current Marcus." 

"Challenged?" 

Brandon nods and sighs, "So. What I've learned for the years I've actually paid attention is that some packs aren't very... civilized. What I mean is, for example- Nicholas, Christopher and Caroline inherited the pack from their uncle Milo, who doesn't have any biological children. Before Milo, there was Alpha Viktor. And so on. It's been run by family for a good couple generations, but usually the Alpha chooses someone that is worthy and values the pack. Someone who chooses the best for the pack, who leads with honor and so on. Nate's pack is different. They're way smaller and some members of the pack like to challenge the superiors."

"What happens if they lose?" I ask.

"They... die. A challenge usually is to the death" he mumbles disappointedly. 

"What? That's completely stupid. What if they challenge Nate?" My heart suddenly felt suffocated at the thought. "Is that even allowed?"

"Unfortunately, yes. It's a lot more common out there with other packs too. It's scary when you don't know what you're walking into" he sits up and grabs my hand. "Nate also has been challenged. Multiple times, too. But from what I've heard, he's never lost." 

"Not once?" I ask feeling just a tiny bit better even though I didn't understand why my mind was clouding everything else at the thought. Brandon shakes his head. "What if Nate wanted to challenge Marcus?" 

Brandon shakes his head and purses his lips. "Nate is extremely loyal. He wouldn't even think about it. Then again I don't know him like the back of my hand, but from what I've seen, he's not after being an Alpha. Len, he's one of the best. And that's saying something. You don't have to be worried about hi-" 

"I'm not." I interrupt sharply. I could feel a light flush starting at my cheeks but I kept eye contact, keeping my head raised. "I'm not worried about him at all."

Brandon smiles softly, "You've been marked, Lennox. It's unavoidable." There had to be a way to be... free. I couldn't be stuck with him for the rest of my life. "I know you're feeling many things at once and the way your marking was completed, I know you feel trapped. But Nate is an amazing person and I hope you get to see a side he has never showed anyone. A side only a mate is supposed to see. It's not so bad once you open your mind and give him a chance." 

Open my mind my ass. I had to contact my family. 

It was easy for him. He had all his family. His mates and friends. "Wait. Earlier you mentioned Nicholas and Christopher and..."