NEW BEGINNING

MISHTI

I saw a familiar face when I entered Dr. Paradhkar's cabin. I just can't recall where have I seen him. I have seen these eyes before. I am sure, but where? Who are you stranger?

My chain of thoughts were broken when Dr. Paradhkar calls my name "Dr. Mishti, right? Col. Mehra told me about you! And when I saw your resume, there was no chance that I will let go of such a good and talented doctor. Also having a female doctor makes it very easy to deal with female patients."

"I understand sir! I would love to help. And it's such a great opportunity to assist you....."

"Oh no no! I am getting old. I am here just to guide young talent like you, but you my dear will be assisting him" he said pointing towards the known strange.
"Meet Dr. Ronobeer Chatterjee. Bohot famous surgeon hai. You will learn a lot from him."

"Ronobeer, Ronobeer, Ronobeer.... This name sounds familiar" I was so busy thinking that I forgot to greet him.

"Dr......" Ronobeer said extending his hand for a formal handshake.
"Oh, I am sorry sir, I was just thinking something.. It's pleasure meeting you. I am looking forward to work with you, and hope that I never disappoint you."

"You will not. I am sure you will be a very good doctor!" Dr. Chatterjee said smiling.

"Okay then! Dr. Sharma will brief you and Madan our wardboy will show you your cabin. Unfortunately abhi thode din you will have to share your cabin and Mishti we will soon get your room ready." He said getting up.

"No no it's just okay sir!" I said smiling

We came to our cabin after the briefing, that's when Dr Chatterjee said "small world it is! I have never thought I would ever meet you again."

"So we have met before!! I was just wondering if I had seen you somewhere, but I just couldn't remember!" I said as I take my seat.

"Yeah! I was a mess that time! Almost dead when you saved my life in that millitary camp." He said rubbing his hand on the back of his neck.

"Oh! Ronobeer!!! The bullet man!! I said surprised. "That's why you were looking so familiar. And trust me you were not that bad I have seen the worst when I was in that camp."

"Bullet man!!" He chuckled.

"We didn't know your name back then. Until you told me the day when you asked me to call your mother." I explained.

"I understand, but I haven't seen you when I volunteered there...." He asked

"Oh I left for some other camp." I replied.

"Why?" He asked again.

My heart stopped and I don't know what to answer, I have been shifting camps too quickly so that my last hope to fing him never dies. "I had my reasons..." I sighed.

Thankfully he didn't ask me anything about it later, though I can see questions in his eyes.

"I think you are quite young to be a surgeon... No offense, par humare desh me ladkiyan is umar me shadi aur bacche sambhala karti hai. Tumhare parents kafi open-minded hai." I can understand his curiosity and he was right. Though there were changes female doctors were not so common, nursing on the other hand was quite a famous profession for females.

"Yeah! My father always wanted me to study medicine. And yes he was okay with me wanting to study further, if that's what open-minded mean!" I said with a smile.

I really don't think that he needs to know about my marriage and whatever happened. I did my specialization to avoid people's sympathy after him. The less I socialize the less miserable I feel.

"You are lucky that no one forced you drop your education and dreams just for the sake of marriage or else we would have lost an efficient doctor" he said.

"Yeah!" I said not wanting to say anything about the marriage. Just to change the topic I asked him "how is your mother. She was really happy when I told her about you that time. I hope she is well. And your daughter. I am so sorry, mujhe naam yaad hi nahi aa raha." I apologized.

"Tara, her name is Tara. She is 7 now, kids grow up so fast you know, especially girls. Kal tak itni si thi godi me ane ke liye roti thi, ab kehti hai Baba mein badi ho gayi hu godi me nahi aungi!" He said laughing. His eyes shine as he talk about his daughter. It reminds me of my Papa, I miss him. I think I should ask them to come and live with me only.

"Ma is fine too thank you for asking!" He said with a smile.

"And your wife? Dr. Kusum was it? Where does she work. She is in Bombay or Calcutta...." I asked out of curiosity.

"What made you think she is my wife?" He quickly questioned.

"I am so sorry! You asked about her that day so I thought..." I regretted asking him this question. I out of all should be sensitive about questioning people on their personal lives.
"I did not want to hurt you.. sorry!"

"No that's okay! You didn't hurt me! She is not my wife." He replied and I didn't ask anything further.

I said my good byes everyone at the end of the day and returned back to my lonely life where there were no colours.

_________________

I mentioned Mumbai and Kolkata in my previous chapters out of habit. I will now on refer it as Bombay and Calcutta as it was in 60's & 70's. I know farak nahi padta par fir bhi.