THE ANSWERS

MISHTI

"Why didn't you come?" Rono ask as I entered the hospital in the morning.

"Hi!" I said avoiding to answer.

"Tara missed you." He said, though I wanted him to say that he wished to see me there, but atleast someone misses me.

"Tara! I missed her too!" I replied.
"Tell her I will see her on Sunday." I asked him.

"I don't think you will be able to meet her soon as she is going to Calcutta for a few days, to my Mashi Ma's place. Schools have long vacations so." He told me, and I realised I will not be able to see him on Sundays. It's just one day in a week still I got restless, he has became like a weird habit of mine if I don't get to see him for day, it feels incomplete.

"Oh! So I will come to meet her today so that...." I was saying when he said
"That is such a good idea, you should just come with me when we leave in the evening, infact let me call Ma have dinner with us." He said and I agreed. The day was a busy one and we left together in the evening.

"Tara!!!" I called her name when we entered his home.

"Where is everyone?" I asked Rono.

"Babaaa!" We heard Tara's voice as she came running down from the stairs.

"Mishti Ma!" Ronobeer was surprised when she called me that, it's really recent when one day she asked me if she can call me Mishti Ma and there was no reason to say No. I loved her and I always wanted someone to call me Ma.

Ronobeer gave us a strange look when she was hugging me and I gave him a look asking "what?" He shook his head smiling.

We had our dinner while Tara told me how excited she was to go to Calcutta and how much she will miss me, and what all she will eat there and bring for me while coming back. She asked me if I could stay tonight with her.

"Tara!! You know there is Pari didi at home she is scared of the dark and can't sleep alone so I will have to go for now but once you are back from Calcutta you can come and live with us for a few days." I replied, she agreed but still cried when Ronobeer and I were leaving for my home.

"Mishti!!!!" Ronobeer said in a husky meaningful voice when we were walking towards the car

"Yes!!" I asked him in a low voice as he took a few steps towards me, my breath hitched in the anticipation of what he wants to say.

"Nothing!! Let's go!!" He said.

"My...." I cleared my throat while we were driving "My husband.... He died in the war!" I said and he stopped the car with a jerk.

"Husband???" He clearly was shocked and I was scared. What if... What if he just doesn't want to be my friend anymore, what if he asks me not to visit Tara anymore, what if he doesn't want me in his life anymore....

"Ye... Yes! The time we met at the army camp, us waqt 32 din hue the use.... Use...." I started crying as all the memories floods in front of my eyes.

"I am so sorry! I didn't know! I have never asked you about your life! I am so sorry!" He said holding my hand and I cried my heart out for the first time for him. I realised it has been 3 years when he told me that he will be back soon but....

"How many..." He cleared his throat " kitna waqt hua tha shadi ko...." He asked

"Ek din!" I smiled sarcastically at my fate! "It was our... First night together as husband and wife when he said he will have to leave for.... He told me he will be back soon but after a few days Mehra uncle as in Col. Mehra... Unhone bataya ke uski puri battalion Shahid ho gayi hai. Kuch bacha hi nahi.. uski body bhi nahi mili..." He was still holding my hand as tears were flowing.