THE QUESTIONS

RONOBEER

I was eagerly waiting for her on 'Ashtomi',  but more than me little Tara was super excited to see Mishti. It's been almost a month and a few days more to Tara's birthday and Mishti has never missed a single Sunday of meeting her.

"Baba! When will Mishti come?" Tara came running to me and asked.

"She will come soon, but Tara don't you think you should not just call her by her first name. Say doctor Mishti, or Aunty or kaki or anything." I asked her sitting on my knees so that I am her height.

"Me and Mishti have different equations Baba!" She said and kissed my cheek and ran away.

I was confused, Ma just smiled looking at Tara. I was standing in the corner of the pandal when I noticed Mishti entering the premises. I was delighted to see her, though a little upset because I was expecting her to wear the red saree I gave her. I have never seen her bright colours. I think she will look so beautiful in Reds and yellows or any colour for that matter. But, atleast she was here and I can stand next to her during Aarti.

I saw Tara running to her the moment she entered and hugged her and said loudly "Mishtiiiiii! I missed you!" Making me smile because the truth was I kind of missed her too. It's been two days of not seeing her and God knows how many of not talking to her , but I will talk to her today about what happened to her, did I say or do anything wrong.

"I am glad you came." I said to her when she was standing near me while pujari ji was performing the Pujo.

"I had to." She said looking into my eyes and making me loose my senses.
"You didn't like the sarees?" I asked

"Why would you think like that? I really liked it!" She had a cute little frown on her forehead.

"Then why didn't you wear it?" I asked. She was about to answer just when pujari ji asked Ma to call everyone for Aarti.

"Pinku! Chalo, Mishti aur Tara ko bhi le aao." Ma can be so impossible sometimes.
"Pinku!! Is that your name!" She has a naughty child like grin.

"Can you just pretend that you didn't hear anything!" I asked her walking towards Ma. Tara joined us and forced Mishti and me to stand next to each other while she was holding Mishti's pallu's corner.

"So Pinku!!" She said smiling.

"Don't you..." I said with a fake anger.
"I am going to call you Pinku only!" She said laughing. I noticed she rarely giggled or laughed for that matter. She only Smiled or chuckled always, it was the first time she laughed her heart out and I was glad that the reason was me.

"Kal aaogi na?" I was feeling butterflies in my stomach asking her this question.

"Nahi! Kal nobomi hai na, mera ana thik nahi rahega!" She said lowering her head.
"Kyu? Aisa kya hai kal? Kal ke liye to sab ladkiya badi exited rehti hai!" I said feeling sad because she said no.

"Nahi...... I can't.." she said and I could see tears coming. I know there is something that she never shares, I want to know but I can till the time she wants to share.

"Mishti..." I said but she stopped me
"Please Rono, don't ask me again. Please, I beg you." She said. Her eyes were now full of tears, and for some reason I took a step and kept my palm on her head, and she hugged me making me fall a few steps back.

She broke the hug realising where we were standing, "I am sorry, I should go now! I am sorry, I shouldn't have done that, I am sorry!"

"Let me drop you atleast..." I said while she was walking away from me.