Who Are You?

When the children were attending exam, Estevan drove to the city. The emperor was attending an event at the city hall. He didn't go to address anyone. He stood in the back and saw him once. Hector looked as closed off as ever. But Estevan underestimated his own scent because the next moment Hector's eyes found him. He waited outside near the parking area. Desmond nodded to him and Lukas waved before they went off to check the vehicles.

"I didn't think you would come," said Hector, standing next to him.

"I didn't either. Why are the Marinos attacking you other than the obvious reasons like their illegal goods being seized indiscriminately?" he asked.

If Hector was shocked seeing Estevan there, he was even more surprised by the question.

"After the Mantis fell, Marinos and associates wanted to fill the void. They are not the Mantis and I cannot turn away from the valley and the plains trusting them to do right. They want royal pardon and legitimacy," said Hector.

Estevan didn't say anything.

"We will be leaving in three days. The children miss you," he said and walked away. Hector watched him go.

He knew he can't go see the children once again to only never see them again. He had told them both to not pester their Baba about contacting him after they leave and they seem to have obeyed him. But Estevan is their father and he knew them well.

Estevan looked at his children who were looking at him cautiously.

"What is it?"

"Should we really go back to Jekill? Can't we stay here?" asked Myles.

"Why are we having this conversation again?" asked Estevan.

"Why are you acting like you are happy there? You are not and neither are us," snapped Myles.

"Safety is what matters," said Estevan.

"We know. We promised the emperor we will never contact him again unless its an emergency. We will have no connection with him. Why should we go so far away ? Its not home," said Myles.

"This is not home either," said Estevan.

"At least, it's a home away from home," said Myles.

Before they could argue more, the calling bell went off. Estevan opened the door. He didn't have to look to see who it is. The scent hit him the moment Hector got out of his car. Hector was alone.

"Where is your security team?" he asked.

"I am the emperor. You shouldn't be so insolent," said Hector, trying to evade the fact that he gave his won entourage a miss.

Before they could talk more Elio crashed onto Hector and Myles followed. They were a blubbering mess, talking to him over the other. Hector sat down and made them sit down beside him and heard everything they have to say. Estevan stepped outside to see if the emperor was followed. At first glance, the entryway looked empty. Then he saw movement as a shadow shifted. He didn't turn at once. He turned and the shot was fired but it hit the wall. Hector reached the door.

Estevan pushed him inside and entered himself before locking the door.

"I will go. They want me. I will go. I should have known better. I was being selfish-