Like a Phoenix

Hector looked at his son, still attached to all the equipment, but alive and awake. Those eyes met his. He tried to give a smile but he couldn't stop himself from sobbing noiselessly. Estevan held him close. He saw his alpha look at his first born. They were communicating.

"Get well. Doctors are afraid of infections. Lukas can't visit. Nor the children. They are all right outside. Your only job is to get well," said Estevan. Giovanni didn't respond. He can't but it is clear that he understood. They quietly left once he fell asleep again.

The children hounded them for answers when they got out. That night, Estevan looked at him.

"Hector, when our son steps out of this hospital, before he does, I need to do something," he said. Hector gave a small nod. Estevan got up. Timothy, Kirk and every guard who is not on duty here left. The hospital had roughly one hundred guards around it. They returned in the morning. Hector looked at Estevan.

"No one will come looking for our children again," said Estevan.

Hector nodded.

"Good."

Lukas started walking a week later. He had been determined to recover to go see Giovanni. The children were let in one by one. Myles had come back looking destroyed.

"Are you upset?"

"No. He is my hero. There is nothing he can't do," said Myles, with a small smile. Yes, Gio will recover. He can sit up now and doesn't need oxygen support.

They were called by the doctor the day before discharge.

"You see, your highness, Alpha Mantis- Master Giovanni needs round the clock observation. His entire body was pushed into disarray. A slight variation and you need to get him here. He may have a hard time doing even the basic things initially. I would suggest a home nurse usually but given who he is, that wouldn't be wise at this point. I was told his omega is also around," said the doctor.

"Yes, please hold on," said Hector. He stepped out and called Lukas who looked worried as he rushed over.

"Is everything alright?"

"Come in. The doctor wants to talk about after care," he said. Lukas nodded and he too took a seat.

"As I was saying he will have difficulties with even the basic activities in the initial days. You will have to tend to him like you would a new born. You need to return at the slight variation in his health. He cannot move around much. The bones – he is lucky to be able to walk again. Please keep that in mind. No medicine should be missed, no excuses nothing. We give the same advice for post stroke care. His entire body had collapsed. He had gone into shock but the fact that he is fine now is a sign. He will be fine but please keep it in mind that he needs help," said the doctor.

"We will doctor. Have you identified a counsellor?" asked Estevan.

"Master Giovanni is the Heir apparent. The hospital cannot randomly pick a person to counsel him. He will need a psychiatrist too but that will have to be from the approved list of the emperor's office," said the doctor.

"I will look into the list today itself," he said. He will have to speak to his grand father again but he will do it for his child.

"Dr Elena will share the list of food and supplements and I know she won't be leaving the house for the duration of his treatment. But I wanted all of you who will be caring for him to be aware," said the doctor.

All of them nodded. They stepped out.

"I will go check on him. Myles was there but you know when they make puppy eyes, he will let them climb on the bed," said Lukas. Hector nodded. Lukas rushed off.