Handling Things the Mantis Way

Hector sat beside Estevan when Giovanni arrived with Nico in his arms.

"Where are the other two?" he asked.

"Behind me."

Sure enough, Lukas and Marcus reached next.

Lukas took one look at Hector and then he was crying.

"Omg, omega waterworks. Let's go," said Myles dragging Giovanni and the children along with him.

"What are you so upset over, come here," he said and wrapped Lukas in a hug.

He seemed to calm down after that. Estevan's eyes met his and the man gave a small nod.

"Will you please let us pay them off? We have the money which we can spend on our family. You are our family. Have me made you doubt that ever, Lukas?" he asked.

"What did I do to deserve it? I am a nobody. I just- How can I ever repay you- either of you or your family?" asked Lukas.

"Don't be ridiculous. I assure you this is not tax money but our money. Will you please accept?" asked Hector.

Lukas was silent for a moment.

"I am scared of losing them. I think Mr Timothy and Elena like them and I am so selfish for not wanting to give them up to have a secure childhood. I just feel like, any moment someone would grab them from me and that I – Lukas broke off.

Estevan got up and walked over and sat next to Lukas on the other side.

"While I can't presume to know my friends that well, I think you should talk to them. Now, there is no more debate on this, we are paying. Do you think your father will come again with some such demands? What about your step mother?" asked Estevan patting Lukas on his head.

"She won't. She is probably being bullied by him or she needs money. She was not a bad woman. Its him- dad and he would always keep coming back. Giving him money is just enabling him but he is my dad and I don't know," said Lukas.

"Will you let me handle this the Mantis way. Your father will be fine," said Estevan.

Lukas's eyes widened.

"Yes. I will give him enough for his monthly expenses from my salary. That's okay with me," said Lukas.

"If you wish to. You don't owe him anything," said Hector.

"I know. Do I know? I know it very well. He is old and I don't want him to suffer despite how greedy he is now being," said Lukas.

Estevan nodded and got up.

"I will go check on them and get them around for meal," he said and left.

"I will talk to Elena and find out what is on their mind. I am sorry you were feeling so pressured about everything. You know you can always come talk to us right?" he asked.

Lukas gave a small smile.

"Its hard to accept that there is someone I can come running for advice and help," he said.

"Well, you do. Now get up, its time to eat," said Hector and got up, pulling Lukas along with him.

They all had an enjoyable meal and after that Hector set out to find Elena. She had arrived some time back. She and Timothy are one soul in two bodies. Talking to one is like talking to the other in most cases.

Elena raised an eyebrow as soon she saw him.

"You have spooked someone. I just wanted to know what's going on," said Hector.