Trouble

Estevan had a drink. Hector followed him, unsurprisingly.

He let Hector move the liquor from his hand and pull him away.

"I trusted him with my children. What use is my trust? What use is my sense and experience?" asked Estevan.

"I think you should talk to Gregory rather than staying away from the interrogation. Maybe understanding his motives would help you be at ease," said Hector. Estevan didn't know if he wanted to go but what Hector said is true. Gregory is not like Colin who joined as a spy. Gregory had been his trusted lieutenant for a long time. For that trust to shatter, there must be something. Right?

Estevan pressed a kiss to Hector's forehead and walked out. He needed to know. He stepped into the interrogation chambers. Gregory is a beta. He had been unobtrusive and very much helpful in all his time with the Mantis. He was family. Timothy looked weary as he stood next to Gregory as he was being interrogated.

"Boss"

Everyone fell silent and Gregory looked at him.

"Ah, Boss," he said.

"Isn't that the Marinos now?" asked Estevan and Gregory snorted.

"What should I do when you let that omega accompany you?"

"Greg- Timothy looked furious.

"The Mantis and the crown doesn't go along. The crown is corruption and yet you gave in when you saw your omega, Boss. That was you, not me," said Gregory.

"The Mantis and crown has respected each other all along. If you thought Mantis is Anti-Crown, you joined the wrong group," said Estevan.

"And why would the boss look at a beta all along? Even when I treated your sons well?" asked Gregory.

Estevan was surprised. He had never ever thought that Gregory had such an interest in him.

"Gregory, whatever your reasons, you know you betrayed the Mantis?" asked Estevan.

Gregory sneered and looked away.

"You hurt my sons."

"If it weren't for those two, the emperor wouldn't –

"I do not know what misconceptions you have but Hector is my soulmate. And it doesn't concern you. If I knew you chose to follow me the wrong reasons, we wouldn't be here and you wouldn't ever have been a Mantis," he said and turned to look at Timothy.

"Make a lesson out of them," he said.

"No. Estevan, alpha- we are beginning a new life. We can't begin it with blood of the family. Whatever he thought- we considered him our family," said Hector from the door.

"I don't want your pity," growled Gregory and he launched at one of the guards, grabbing the gun from him and pointed it at Estevan poised to shoot. He fired the first bullet and Estevan ducked pulling Hector with him. Around them they heard gunshots.

"Are you okay?" Estevan asked Hector, checking him over.

"Yes. Are you?" He was looking at Estevan carefully, worried.

Hector nodded. Gregory was shot and barely alive. Estevan just looked at him for a moment. To lose a brother is not easy, not even when you have been betrayed. Timothy placed his hand on Estevan.

"You have nothing to feel guilty over. He had been bargaining with the Marinos all along for giving away your location," said Timothy even as he looked pained himself. Estevan would have tore him apart if he was the same man as he was back when his children were in the periphery of his life. But he is aware that he is more human now and what he wants- he looked at Hector who looked like he was in pain- was this.