Tides are Turning

This is the second chapter which I didn't post. Sorry for any confusion. I will reorder the chapters.

Lukas made dinner for his siblings. His father had married again when he was 14 and sired two children before promptly leaving them four- including his new wife. She had been in love with someone else and left them not long after. Now, it was just them with Lukas having full custody of the two. Marco and Nico are five and unidentical twin. Both looked at him beseechingly.

"What is it?"

"Can we have cuddles? You seem to be in a bad mood," said Nico.

Marco nodded.

Lukas smiled pulling them both into a warm hug.

"Of Course, no. I am fine. I was just stressed about work. Did you both finish your homework?" asked Lukas.

"Yes, we did. We help?" asked Marco.

"How about you both set tables and I will bring our dinner soon?" asked Lukas. They nodded eagerly before running off.

Both nodded before rushing off. Lukas sighed. He did have some savings from his initial year at work. He should have known the job wouldn't fit him. If it did, he would have been able to prove the emperor's innocence himself. And he needed his two angels to have a safe and secure life. Perhaps he should have chosen to be a teacher.

His father had always been a man who was careless with money. It was only the royal grant given by the emperor that made sure that he made it through school and college. As an omega he has never received much support in his choice of career and he can see why he was chosen for this case in particular.

He heard the calling bell ring. They don't have any family to visit. Who could it be? His friends are limited to the people he works with or the one or two people he met in college. They won't visit unannounced either. He opened the door and froze seeing the emperor. The man was looking at him.

"May I come in?" he asked.

"Oh, of course," he said making way.

Marco and Nico hid behind his legs as they faced the emperor.

"Can I sit down?" asked the emperor.

"I am sorry. Yes. Please. I am just surprised," said Lukas.

"Well, How can I not come and tell you this myself? Here is your resignation. It has not been accepted. The department needs honest, clever officers like you. I have asked for you to be moved into the palace security team," said Hector.

"Your highness- I – thank you. But, I don't know. I couldn't prove anything," said Lukas.

"Because I was collecting every evidence possible. The fact that you managed to track Leventis subsidiaries itself is an achievement given how little facts you had. Unless this is not a career you want truly, report back at work when you are ready," said Hector and was on his feet. He looked at the children hiding behind Lukas.

"I am sorry- I have brought something for you. My grandmother makes these chocolates," said Hector and handed over a box. The children looked at Lukas who nodded. They accepted it shyly. With a nod to Lukas, Hector stepped out.

----------------

Estevan was fishing outside of Oakdale waters. He needed a few bigger fishes for the new dishes. He stopped by the estate area. The estate belongs to the royals but is mostly unused. Local fishermen sometimes rest here. The security measures are too good for ordinary citizens either way. The children are at school. Myles has been asking to go for a school trip. He doesn't know how to say no without it blowing up into a big fight. He dozed off deep in thought. Icarus was with him. He loved watching him fish. Just for that he is often ready to brave the waters with him.