Clueless

Estevan watched as Hector pacified Myles, his attention not wavering for a moment. He decides he was the luckiest man on earth that day when he decided to allow Hector into their lives. Estevan knew to comfort his son. But not when he is as upset as he is. And not over this. He is Estevan's pride but he is aware that his son needed a complete family. No one can love like Hector does. His capacity for love is infinite. Estevan can hardly love people that easily. He loves his children- Giovanni included. He loves Lucas and his brothers and of course his immediate circle which has dwindled since the unfortunate incident with Gregory.

But it goes without saying that Estevan can never be as forgiving as kind and as loving as Hector is. Does he love Hector? Initially the answer would have been- a little. Now though, he loves him infinitely. Beyond words. It was slow in the making and he had not allowed himself to love anyone this way ever. But not loving Hector is impossible.

Hector was sleepless that night. He didn't sleep well the previous night and he knew it is because he worried for Myles and also worried that he will lose his- their children to their birth parent even a little. But he can see tonight, he is full of guilt and worry of a different kind.

"I wish I was there so I can tell that woman what she was missing out on," he said turning and resting his head on Estevan's shoulder.

"I don't think it works that way. They were not trying to replace you. They just wanted to know. They saw what unconditional parental love looks like and they wanted to know if it's the same everywhere and its good that they learned the answer now than in their future. Now, we can still protect them from the world. Now when they don't have to feel ashamed to voice their feelings or have to be strong as an 'adult', he said.

Hector nodded and looked at him. Estevan ran his hand gently over his cheek. He blushed so beautifully that he wanted the smile hidden from the world. He has always been a selfish man.

"I have hurt you a lot, haven't I?" he asks.

Hector in his abundant kindness shakes his head as if the idea itself is preposterous.

"I won't say it didn't hurt a little bit but I understand what you were thinking back then and it led us here to this moment and I can only be grateful," said Hector.

Estevan gave a small smile. In the face of Hector's optimism, he can only smile and his face brightens in turn.

"I should have come around here back when I was young. We might have found each other sooner," he says.

"Like you said, whatever happened led us to this moment and let's savor this," said Estevan.

They lay silently for some time more.

"Some people approached with official proposal for betrothal for Giovanni. I declined," said Estevan.

Hector looked at him.

"Good. He should be able to chose and they shouldn't try and trap him in their web of power," said Hector.

Giovanni was surprised when one of the old coots, part of the elites approached him after a meeting.

"We wanted an audience with you, Prince Giovanni. I had been trying to get your stepfather to agree to a betrothal for you but he has been resistant but surely you see the benefits- he started.

He has already heard enough. Neither Baba nor Papa has mentioned anything about this and he feels grateful that they didn't ask him and give him a headache like this man was giving.