#52

MEND MY SOUL #52

Season Finale.

NOKUZOLA
Today, it is Siya’s parents’ funeral. The both of them. I got back from Ndlovu, my father after staying with him for three days. We really had a great time together; we talked and forgave each other. Well, I forgave him. It is no use carrying hate for him for too long. It happened and now it’s time to move over it. Siya doesn’t look that bothered though, even when we were at the cemetery, he didn’t even shed a single tear. He told me about the letter Boni left for him. I still don’t get why they killed themselves, where did she even get a gun? But you will never know. They were shitty parents, I can’t get enough of saying that.
Siya comes to me with Olwethu.
Siya:Let’s go.
Zola:*Confused*Where?
Siya:Go back home, I don’t want to be here anymore.
Zola:Babe I understand that you don’t want anything to do with your parents but can you just please stay? At least, let us leave tomorrow. It won’t give out a good image if we just up and leave now that the funeral is over.
Siya:I don’t want to be here sthandwa sami. I feel suffocated. They chose to be cowards and ran out of this world.
I sighed and took Olwethu from her.
Zola:Okay let’s leave then. I can’t keep on telling you the same thing.
Siya:What do you mean now?
Zola:You say you want us to leave, let’s leave. You can’t be angry at your parents when we just buried them. You will be angry till when? They are not coming back, sorry if I’m insensitive neh but this agenda or strike you’re pushing is not it. You’re only hurting yourself more babe.
Siya:Zola..
Zola:No Siya don’t argue with me. You said you want us to leave, let us leave.
I walked away from him feeling angry a bit. I understand that he hated his parents, but we can’t just up and leave right after they just got buried.
.
.
.
LINDO
I am rushing to the hospital, I was told Kukhanya is giving birth.
I arrive and my mother is already here.
Lindo:Where is she?
Lora:They are still busy with her. Please go in, they said they have to cut her.
Lindo:A C-section?
Lora:Yes.
I swallowed and went in, she was screaming non stop.
“You are the father?”
Lindo:Yes.
“We need to prep her for theater. Natural birth is not ideal, please sign here”
They gave me some papers and I signed them. I went to her and held her hands, she was wet from all the sweating and crying.
Lindo:I will be here waiting for you.
Kukhanya:I just want him out..
Lindo:He will babe…. Now go in there and bring back our son.. I love you…
Kukhanya:I love you too…
They wheeled her away and I walked out. My mom was still waiting.
Lora:How are you feeling?
Lindo:Happy and scared. I am happy that I’m about to have my first child with the woman I love. But I am also scared, I have heard of how some women don’t come back after giving birth.
Lora:That won’t happen, stop worrying. Your father is on his way, and your siblings.
.
.
.
SIYAMTHANDA
Zola just told me off, I don’t want us to fight. But I will have to disagree with her here, I don’t want to think about Sikho’s parents yet. I know she’s right but my big, stubborn head won’t allow it.
I go to my uncle just to talk to him about something.
Uncle:Ndodana(Son).
Siya:Baba I want to ask something from you.
Uncle:I’m all ears.
Siya:Me and Zola are getting married soon, we were supposed to do so last week but because of the funeral and all, we couldn’t. So I was wondering if you can be my negotiator to ask for her hand in marriage.
Uncle:So you will marry her first? And then pay Lobola for her?
Siya:Yeah..
It made sense in my head, I just want her as my wife already. I don’t care about the Lobola and what not’s, I’m just honoring tradition.
Uncle:Ngikuqala ngawe ke lokho Siyamthanda(Things are not done like that).
Siya:Are you going to do this or not?
Uncle:Okay, I will.. Just tell me when. But it will have to be after the cleansing.
Siya:I understand.
He nodded, I went inside to find Zola. She was with the other ladies in the kitchen helping them wash dishes. I scanned the room looking for my daughter, and my aunt was the one holding her. I called Zola outside and she followed me.
Zola:What?
She was still angry.
Siya:Yindaba ungdinelwe sthandwa sami? (Why are you angry at me my love?)
She ignored me and looked the other way pouting. If only ladies knew how cute they looked when they are angry. I grabbed her butt a little and her frown turned to a smile. I kissed her.
Zola:Don’t soften me.
Siya:I’m not softening you. I just don’t want us to fight sthandwa, I can fight with everyone but not you. You, you are my happy place.
She wrapped her arms around my neck.
Zola:Then let’s leave tomorrow.
Siya:Okay.
Zola:Really?
Siya:Yes we will leave tomorrow..
I kissed her again.
Siya:You’re going to be Mrs Nyathi next week.
She smiled and laid her head on my chest.
Zola:I’m so happy. In fact, you should buy me a new ring.
I laughed.
Siya:Why a new ring?
Zola:This one was for our engagement, I need a new one for our marriage.
Siya:Whatever you want, I will give it to you.
Zola:So if I say I want a new house and a car will you give it to me?
Siya:Yes..
Zola:Then I want a house and a new car.
Siya:Consider it done Mrs Nyathi.
Zola:Siya I’m not playing.
Siya:I’m also not playing. I will give you anything you want. Anything else you left behind mama?
She moved from my chest and looked at me, she tapped her index finger on her mouth thinking.
Zola:I want a building, a new one, I want to start my own company.
Siya:That can be arranged.
She laughed.
Zola:Siya I’m serious.
Siya:I am also serious. In the next few months to come, everything will be ready. Which car do you want?
She took her phone and showed me one. Okay, I can manage that.
Siya:Okay, we will go to the dealership next week after we get married. The house, do you want us to build it or buy it?
Zola:I would prefer building it.
Siya:Okay…
Zola:I love you..
Siya:I love you more.
Now this is what makes me happy, seeing her happy.
.
.
.
YOKUTHULA
Me and Nomtha were still fighting, it was extremely exhausting. She is accusing me of sleeping with Nokuzola, she is crazy. Zola has become like a sister to me. I love Nomtha but her recent insecurities are a turn off. I have never given her any impression that I’m cheating, so I don’t know where she gets this from. I think the biggest mistake was us moving in together, we should have continued dating while still staying at our own different places.
I should tell her to excuse me, I also need my own space. She is suffocating me.
Thula:Can we talk?
Nomtha:You’re ready to admit that you are cheating with Zola?
Not this again! I rolled my eyes and looked at her.
Thula:You should move out and go back to your house.
Nomtha:Oh so you are now chasing me out? So that you can bring her here!?
Thula:This is exhausting. Everyday it’s the same thing. Come on!
Nomtha:I’m is not going anywhere.
Thula:Oh no I wasn’t asking you, I’m telling you to leave my house. In fact, I’m dumping you. You have become so fuckin annoying that I always dread coming back home.
I clicked my tongue and walked out.
.
.
.
A week later…
.
.
To be continued…