( 004. ) 𝘨𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵'𝘴 𝘴𝘭𝘦𝘦𝘱

CHAPTER FOUR:
Good night's sleep
Indiana, 1984.

IT WAS HARD to fall asleep for Steve that night

IT WAS HARD to fall asleep for Steve that night. To the left of him, Eddie was asleep safe and sound, and so were about five other boys. To the right of him, the bed was empty. His heart was racing, still unable to process all that happened today. Not that it mattered, you see, because as previously mentioned this was a misunderstanding and come next morning and Steve would get out of here. Call himself a cab and get out of here. He'd go back to Hawkins, be King Steve — the straight King Steve — again and nothing would change. Well, maybe he'd take down the Rob Lowe poster. Never would've put it up if he knew what it could lead to.

He technically knew he should sleep. Sleep meant time passed faster, and that meant he'd be out of there quicker, but he just couldn't. He couldn't keep his eyes shut, he couldn't keep his thoughts from wandering. He tossed and turned, internally screaming at himself for not being able to just fall asleep when he heard the door open and then saw a beam of light emerging from the porch. Two shadows entered, speaking in hushed whispers.

„It's your second day and you're already keen on breaking every rule," the voice unmistakably belonged to Mrs Brown, sounding more than just displeased. She shoved a second figure towards the dormitory, but Steve could only make out a shadow.

„I don't like rules," the other replied, louder than Mrs Brown, in a deep voice. „I just went for a smoke, okay? Big fucking deal," Steve didn't see it, but he could practically feel the eye roll at that last sentence.

„You see," Mrs Brown's voice got even sharper, but not louder. At least one of them was considerate about not waking up the other campers, „that is indeed a big deal, William, because 1) No one is allowed outside after 10pm, 2) no smoking on my property, and 3) you better watch your language, Mr Hargrove," she sounded strict now and Steve risked another look, seeing how she shook her head in disapproval.

„Now," she pushed the other figure — William — towards the beds once more. „Good night," and with that she left the bungalow, an undecidedly quiet slam of the door following close behind.

The shadow started to walk towards the empty bed to the right of Steve, and before the latter could pretend to be asleep, he caught the other's fierce blue eyes.

„What the fuck are you looking at?" William furrowed his eyebrows, sliding under the covers, his body turned to look at Steve. The moon shone just bright enough for Steve to take the other's features in, his soft-looking lips with the poor excuse for a mustache, his wide nose and his angry expression. Something inside of him longed to taste those lips, but he pushed it away.

Steve shrugged. „Can't sleep," he answered truthfully and let a long sigh follow. He was wearing a baby blue t-shirt, the pyjama version of the stupid uniform they had to wear. The other boy still wore the button-up, however almost entirely unbuttoned, giving Steve a glimpse of toned abs. He bit his lower lip.