( 014. ) 𝘮𝘰𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
Moonlight
Indiana, 1984.

„WHERE DID YOU go, Harrington?" It only took a few minutes for Billy to emerge from the dimly lit nightclub into the starry night

„WHERE DID YOU go, Harrington?" It only took a few minutes for Billy to emerge from the dimly lit nightclub into the starry night. Steve was sitting atop some crates that were standing next to the wall, a pink neon light illuminating his features. Billy came closer, lighting a cigarette.

„Needed some fresh air," Steve lied, trying hard not to look at Billy, who wore a dark red, entirely unbuttoned shirt, revealing his toned abs. Jesus Christ, if anything, sending him to True Directions made him more gay. The other man sat down right next to him, his legs spread slightly — Billy was the type of man that took up space, that didn't want to make himself smaller for others. His thigh leaned against Steve's, their knees touching. Steve looked down at their legs so he wouldn't have to look into Billy's face.

„I see," he crossed his arms above his chest. For what felt like hours, they sat in silence. Then, after a while, Billy raised his voice again: „So that's why you came here. Why'd you bring me along, then?" he furrowed his brows and Steve felt his gaze on him.

„What do you mean?" He now looked up, right into Billy's pale blue eyes, and for a moment, time seemed to stop. His lips were slightly parted, and he knew he was staring, and he knew he probably looked ridiculous at best, absolutely creepy at worst, but he just couldn't help it.

„I mean," Billy sighed in frustration, „you seem to have a great time slow dancing with Munson!" his voice raised at the end of the sentence, and he sounded more than just a bit irritated.

Steve shot a glance at him and noticed how both his fists were clenched. „What, are you jealous?" he joked, a cocky smile on his soft lips.

„Jealous?" Billy raised one of his dark eyebrows, then raised up a middle finger. „You wish, pretty boy." Normally, his voice would've dripped with that arrogant amusement he usually put into his words, but something was different this time around. Steve frowned.

„You know it's not like that," he shrugged his shoulders, putting one finger on Billy's middle finger, gently pushing his hand back down. After that, he didn't let go of his hand. It felt soft and warm, and when Billy relaxed it, Steve intertwined his fingers with Billy's, causing the other to faintly blush. „I don't like Eddie like that," Steve continued.

„Sure looked like it from where I was standing," Billy pulled his hand away, crossing his arms in front of his chest, cigarette still dangling in the corner of his mouth, corners turned down.

„Oh?" Steve had to laugh at that, a choked little laugh that was born out of surprise more than anything, „From where you were standing? You mean when you explored the cavities of some rando?" He raised an eyebrow, his voice hoarse with anger now.

Billy let out a hoarse, disbelieving laugh and turned to look at Steve. He uncrossed his arms again, one hand reaching for the cigarette so he could take a pull. Immediately after, he blew the smoke into Steve's face, sending the other into a coughing fit. A smug smile crept on his face, that Steve would've loved to punch out of it. Or kissed, to be honest.