( 009. ) 𝘤𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘬𝘴

CHAPTER NINE:
Cracks
Indiana. 1984

„SO WHAT ARE you gonna write about?" Nancy glanced at Steve from the other side of the hot pink picnic table they sat at, her angular face resting in the palms of her skinny hands

„SO WHAT ARE you gonna write about?" Nancy glanced at Steve from the other side of the hot pink picnic table they sat at, her angular face resting in the palms of her skinny hands. It was still warm and the four of them wanted to not waste any second of sunlight-infused serotonin, so Steve just took his assignment with him.

He shrugged. „No idea," he ran a hand through his award-winning hair, „I don't... have a root," he grimaced, „I mean I'm sure I like men now, but... I can't trace it back to one specific moment."

Eddie made an unintelligible noise, leaning against Steve. „Just make something up, idiot," he shrugged, „or do you think I seriously believe DnD or metal or my asshole dad turned me into a fag?" he chuckled, nudging his elbow into Steve's ribs. The latter noticed Robin looking at them, an ominous smile on her lips, sending her freckles dancing.

„What?" Steve knitted his brows, „What got you smiling like that, Robin?" Cicadas were singing and the sun gently burned on his back. If he ignored the fact that this was conversion camp, it was nice, almost idyllic. Funnily enough, because a few weeks ago he'd never dreamed of having conversations with a certified freak and a band kid, and now he really liked both of them.

„It's just," she shrugged and looked over at Eddie, „you think your asshole daddy would appreciate you turning this whole thing into a dating show?"

Steve choked on air, coughing uncontrollably. Next to him, Eddie, who by now leaned onto his shoulder, started to laugh. His dark hair tickled against Steve's skin and it shone in the sun, looked almost silky. He must've taken a shower today, because Steve definitely recalled them being a lot more oily.

„Dating show!" Eddie repeated in between two bursts of laughter, „You've got fire, Buckley, you do," he pointed at her, a playful smile on his lips. His deep brown eyes sparkled and he shook his head a few times, still smiling.

„It's not like that," Steve pushed Eddie away from him. Both Nancy and Robin were looking at him now, and it made him feel weird.

„Well, anyways," Nancy said after a while, „Eddie's right. Just make something up. I doubt I'm... gay," she spat the word as if it was poisonous, „because my mum wore pants when she got married. It was a nice, modern dress suit," she rolled her eyes.

Steve furrowed his brows. „Make something up? Like what? It won't be believable if I just... lie," he put a hand onto his forehead, sighing in frustration. Writing had never been his strong suit, to be honest, and ever since he had gotten together with Bethany, he just made her do his essays and assignments. His grades sure had improved since then.

Eddie clicked his tongue and rolled his head around. His neck made horrible cracking noises sending shivers down Steve's spine, but just when he wanted to tell him to stop, he started to talk: „You said you're a basketball player, right? Just blame it on the locker room. Getting changed in a room full of sweaty men. Showering after training," he moaned, then stuck his tongue out in a teasing manner, „I'm growing hard just thinking about it."