{Chapter 9 - Constellations}

{Steven’s POV}

Another morning, another stroll in the kingdom, I yawned and got out of my bed, greeting my pokemon and checking if they are all doing well for today, and yes, everyone of them had a good night’s rest. Everyone except me, as I kept turning, thinking of what that enchantress told me about.. Why can’t I tell him yet? The days are going by quicker, making me even more anxious.. Zinnia must’ve been toying me, playing with my emotions as we spoke that night on the balcony..

I bottled up my tense emotions and went on with my day, clutching a black journal, one that was from my mother. She gave it to me before I was a prince, the same day she died… I know that it was natural, yet the guilt lingered til this moment. And every time I write there, I have this peace of mind, easing the rough moments I experience in the kingdom, and the riverside forest.

I decided not to wear my silver cape, because of the way it feels like I’m hiding a lot of things from the public eye, and on the other hand, it tends to get stuck in the large tree branches and stepped on by city folk and pokemon a little too much, so a simple vest would suffice, as it would show my arms more.

After I slipped on my silver rings and crown, shining in the sunlight that peered from my curtains, I returned everyone into their respective pokeballs, preparing to head out of the kingdom’s gates.

• • •

My father was always busy with work and the economy of the kingdom, my mother was with the culture and traditions, leaving the rest of the duties on my shoulders. But ever since an attack that happened, a tragedy that made my mother ill, and caused her death, everything that she once did is onto me, like a blank canvas now spilled with colours. I didn’t ask for it, yet it occurred, and I accepted fate.

“But I do wish sometimes, can I change it? It’s not as easy as moving a piece to a different place, things have different approaches.”

I stopped in a clearing of the forest, seeing Wallace, chatting with a Tailow, as three Floettes twirl around him. I decided to wait until the flowering pokemon leave, as I hear a conversation.

“You danced with a prince last night?” the red one asked, seemingly excited.

“And you even got to know him too.. Well, I suppose no one noticed you were in that dress.” the white one replied to the other, with a more reserved reaction.

“How is this a good thing? Some guards might’ve taken him!” The blue one seemed displeased.

“It’s alright Aunties, nothing happened to me, and I enjoyed it while it lasted.” Wallace chuckled, giving a soft smile.

The three nodded, I couldn’t hear what they were gossiping about next, something with the lines of “You’ll know sooner” or something similar to those words. After those three pokemon went away, presumably to their tree or flowering home, I approached him once more, as he gave that smile that I’m now familiar with.

“Greetings again, Wallace, I know we met yesterday but-”

“Steven, I want to discuss something with you..” His expression drastically changed, lowering his gaze, as if it was a serious topic. I nodded, as we both sat under a willow tree’s shade. After a moment of tension and silence between us, he took a deep breath and spoke.

“I think I know who the cursed royal might be…” His brows furrowed. My eyes widened as I knew what he was going to say, yet I acted oblivious.

“Who do you think it is?”

He got up, walked himself to the riverside, took off his ivory beret, and looked down at his reflection. “Is it me..? Am I the one people are calling ‘cursed?’ What is the point of me being here then?!” Tears started to well up from his eyes, I couldn’t help but say it.

“Steven.. I’m asking you, what would you do if I-”

“I don’t know!” I yelled out.

He flinched, and guilt started to flood my system. I got up, and walked to him, hoping to get a clearer conversation with the river prince. “Wallace.. I don’t know what to do… the enchantress told me about it, she sealed my lips shut so I couldn’t tell it to you before, and now, here we are.”

“There’s no way that I’m going to sleep for a century.. No, no..” I watched his tears roll down his cheek, more kept on running down, until he couldn’t take it anymore, and sob. I was even stunned, and I hugged him.

“If it does happen, I’ll make sure to bring you in my room for you to sleep, I’ll be the one to check on you, and I’ll even be the one to take care of you each passing night as the stars shine, I promise.”

“I-I.. thank you so much Steven… I don't know what I'd do without you.”

{A/N: Finally back from school after a long time of not writing! Hope you enjoyed the current chapter!}