Part 2: Nikayla and Smasher's Story

Niki

My heart started pounding the second Amaya left, but I kept my composure. I couldn't show him my fear, he didn't deserve to know he made me feel this way. I stared into my abuser's cruel green eyes the way I had countless time before, but this time was different. This time I was stronger and I was angry. This was hard because of how much I loved Landon. We got married so young it felt as though we'd grown up together. He wasn't always this way. He used to be so gentle with me, so loving. I don't know why or how he became this person , I'd given him everything I had, we had a good life. My thoughts started making me sick so I looked away.

"Come with me, we can talk in here." I headed towards my door, not waiting for his answer. It gave me an odd sense of power when I heard his footsteps behind me. This time I was leading and he was following.

Landon didn't say a word until I closed the door behind us. I knew he was trying to be on his best behavior, for some reason, he wanted me back. I didn't understand it, he obviously didn't actually love me. You can't hurt someone the way he's hurt me if you love them. I never got why he tried so hard to get me back just to break me again.

He wasted no time making his move. He was in front of me in seconds. I stood still, unmoving. "I'm sorry I lost my temper, I never meant to hurt you, you know that. I love you so much. I'm just so f***ked up."

I kept my breathing even as he touched my face. "I want you to get help. You can't keep living like this, you're not happy." I felt water forming in the corners of my eyes.

"You help me. You always do." His eyes looked wild as he spoke, making me feel unsteady.

My hands shake a little as he shifts closer to me. "I'm not a therapist, I can't help you the way you need. The best way for me to help you is to get you help from a professional."

He looks confused. "What are you saying?"

"I'm saying you need to work on yourself. You can't do that if you stay here with me." I put my hands under my legs, hiding my fear from Landon. The last part was the hardest to say. "I want a divorce."

Landon stands up, pacing. "Is there someone else?"

I think about Blade, as much as I like him, he wants Amaya. It would never work out. We're meant to be friends and I am starting to accept that. "No. I just can't do this anymore. It hurts too much Landon."

Landon pauses and looks down at me. "You want to leave me?"

I stand up and walk in front of him, willing all my strength. "Yes. I'm done Landon."

"You can't leave me! I won't let you!" He becomes distraught. "I know that I can be a lot to handle, but I'm your husband, you can't just get rid of me because you think I'm defective."

The anger starts to overrule the fear in me. "I will not loose myself trying to save you! You have to save yourself. You don't have a choice, we're done." I take a small breath before I talk again. "If you don't get help, you will go to jail and I will make sure of it." Once I was done talking I was surprised, I'd never threatened Landon before. It was an adrenaline rush.

He looks at me, stunned. It felt good to catch him off guard, to make him fear me. "Okay, if that's what you want, I'll sign the papers. I still love you though, I hope you know that."

"I love you too, but it's over." I bite my lip to stop myself from crying. "I wish you the best, I hope you get the help you need."

Tears starts falling fast from Landon's eyes. "I'm going to miss you, you're all I have left."

I walk over and hug him. "Get help for yourself." I say softly.

He nods into me. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." I know he doesn't mean what he's saying, that he's only attempting to manipulate me into taking him back, but it's still nice to hear. I really needed to hear it.