Knife-wielding Maniac

Amaya's POV

As soon as the mystery guy walked out the door, Nikayla's eyes were on me. "What was that about?"

I adjusted the towel beside the bathtub and met Niki's glance. "What was what?"

"Why were you so angry with him? Did he do something to upset you?"

I lean against the door, sighing. "I don't know. Don't you think it's all just a little strange? He just shows up out of the blue, acting like he's some kind of hero. I mean, where did he even come from?"

I busy myself adjusting perfume bottles and lotions around the room as Vanessa starts stripping out of her clothes. She has never been shy about her body, she'd walk around naked everyday if she could. I wouldn't say I'm shy about my body, but I've always felt that having somebody see you naked puts you in a very vulnerable position and I absolutely hate being vulnerable. I use makeup and clothes not only to express myself, but as a way of covering myself up too. What you look like and who you are underneath all your covers is all you really have at the end of the day. If you loose that, what's left? People can take it from you if you give them the opportunity and leave you a hollow shell of your former self. I don't give many people the chance to say that they've seen all of me, I prefer to stay a mystery only those who deserve to can unlock. This new guy seemed like maybe he'd agree with me to some extent on that. I didn't her him divulge any information about himself, yet he knew Nikayla's entire situation. I don't think he realized anyone picked up on that, but I noticed. I guess it takes one to know one.

Nikayla splashes me with water, bringing me out of my thoughts. "Earth to Amaya!"

"Niki!" I squeal. "What was that for?"

She starts giggling. "You zoned out on me. Did you even hear what I was saying to you?"

I pause and realize I hadn't. "No, I'm sorry. What did you say?"

She shakes her head. "I was saying he only showed up because he heard screaming and was trying to make sure I was okay. He's a nice person. You worry too much."

I internally roll my eyes. Nikayla always tells me I'm too paranoid and I always tell her she's too trusting. We're both right. "Just be careful, he knows where you live now. You have to make sure your doors are locked and don't let him in if he shows up at some creepy hour, okay?"

"Yeah, yeah." She sinks into the bathtub, the bubbles foaming around her. "That's why you're irritated with him, you don't trust him?"

I chuckle. "No, if I was irritated everytime I didn't trust someone, I'd be angry all the time. The suspicion I have about him is just something I've noted. What I am irritated about is he is flirting with someone who is clearly in a vulnerable position."

Nikayla's eyes light up. "Wait, you think he's hitting on me?"

I cross my arms. "Totally. I don't blame him, but I don't think now is an appropriate time for him to do that"

"He doesn't know the situation, he's really a nice guy. I appreciate you looking out for me, but try not to be so hard on the poor guy, alright?" Niki points a finger at me, smiling.

She's so excited about this stranger, which is great excluding the fact that he's a stranger and she's married. The fact that she's married to a jerk factors into this, but still. I wish she'd realize her worth isn't found in a man, she has so much to offer. I don't want to ruin her excitement by saying this to her though. I've told her numerous times that she's too good to be with someone like Landon and being by yourself isn't the worst thing in the world. There's no point having that talk again, especially not right now. I can't blame her, he's inarguable very attractive and charming, but I worry about her. As her friend and neighbor, it's my job to worry. However, I'm glad she's in good spirits after everything that happened tonight, that's what matters to me.

I nod. "Alright, I'll play nice if I see him again."

The more I think about it, the more I realize I might have been too harsh with the mystery man. Niki has a point, he could only be trying to help. He may be trying to make her better by flirting and joking around with her. If that is what he's doing, it's clearly working. Niki is giddy because of him. Not that it matters, I doubt I'll ever see him again unless he ends up dating Niki, but that will probably be awhile since she's still married.

"Thank you." She smiles. "I think we could all three be great friends. We have a similar sense of humor."

I laugh and shake my head. "Let's not get crazy. I am curious though, what were you guys talking about earlier that had you laughing?"

She laughs, remembering. "We talked about everything. He just came over and started telling me knock knock jokes and trying to make me laugh. He kept asking me about my story. He's so sweet."

"That was nice of him, I think that's exactly what you needed." I smile at her, moving towards the door. "I'm going to let you enjoy your bath. I have only one more question before I go."

She looks at me. "What's your question?"

I lean against the door. "Did he tell you anything about himself?"

She ponders this for a moment. "No, we only talked about me. Oh my gosh, was I being selfish?!"

I wave her off. "No, no you're fine! It's a good thing that we're focusing on you right now. I was only asking because he seems so secretive, I thought it was weird I didn't hear him say anything about himself. "

"Well, there wasn't a lot of time and I think he's just a private person, like you. He seems like the type of person who takes time to get to open up. Maybe he needs someone to sort of push him to talk." I could tell by the way she spoke she wanted to be that person.

I place my hand on the doorknob. "Yeah, that could be true. I guess I can understand that."

She plays with the bubbles. "If you don't no one will."

I let out a deep breath. "Well, I'll let you get back to your bath. I'll be here once your finished."

"Okay, thank you for everything, you're such a good friend. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Hey, it's no problem! You and I are a team." I grin. "Relax, you deserve it."

I closed the bathroom door and turned to grab the broom and dustpan that laid in the closet beside the bathroom. I felt eyes on me. I was surprised the guy was still here. I debated what to say to him after Niki and I's conversation.

       As I began cleaning the glass off the floor, I said "Thank you." He looked at me, tilting his head slightly and smirked.

    "I thought you didn't like me." He shrugged. Ugh, couldn't he just say you're welcome? I sighed, not looking up from where I was cleaning.

    "I don't know you enough not to like you yet. Give it time." I shrugged, focused on cleaning. He smirked again. I looked up and stared at him for a moment too long. He was staring at the floor in front of me. I went back to cleaning.

    "Careful." A stern voice came up behind me and grabbed my waist. My breath caught. I stiffened up a moment and turned to look up, but I didn't need to see, his cologne gave him away. I couldn't describe the smell, it was some sort of mix of citrus and cinnamon. He was right behind me, pulling me backwards. He was tall I realized, very tall.

"Huh?" I muttered.

"Glass." He said, sounding sort of breathless. I looked down, and noticed the blood coming from my foot. I must've stepped on a piece of the glass without even realizing it. He lifted me onto the granite counter-top and held my foot to his face. As a reflex I jerked back when he touched the arch of my foot. He tightened his grip and pulled it back to him, without saying a word.

I laughed nervously, "What are you doing?" Several seconds went by before he answered.

Without looking up, he said "Fixing it." He turned his attention to the kitchen drawers, opening one at a time, his eyes searching. Finally, he pulled out a knife. I gasped, then covered my mouth. I started sliding farther back on the counter. "W—w-w-wha..." my voice shook then cut off completely. He came in closer. His smirk returned.

"GET THAT AWAY FROM ME!" I screamed, smacking, and kicking the air. He continued to move in on me. He peered down at my feet and grabbed the undamaged foot and used it to pull me in. In a split second I was in front of this knife-wielding maniac. I squealed. All the sudden he leaned in and kissed me.