Epilogue: Blade's Perspective

Blade POV

The sand feels like a pillow under me. I love little moments like this, the kind that you can get lost in. I'm so in the moment with Amaya that it scares me. I have never been so distracted in my life, I have always had my mind on my work until I met her. Now I can't seem to focus on anything but her. It's dangerous. Everything is perfect right now. The nerves inside me warn me that it can't stay that way forever. Things would inevitably change, but Amaya and I's love for each other was strong. Maybe we could withstand the chaos that was sure to ensue. If we couldn't, at least I know we would fight with everything in us. The thought brings me comfort but I hope it never comes to that. I never want to have to find out if our relationship would survive if it was challenged the way I'd been challenged my entire life.

"What are you thinking about?" Amaya's eyebrows come together in confusion.

I sit up on, using my hands as support. "Do you think this all too perfect?"

Her eyes bore into me, but I keep my gaze on the crashing waves in front of us. I think about the waves and how quickly they change their form entirely, flattening once they've hit their peak. Is that what's going to happen to Amaya and I? Are we at our peak that will be followed up by us flatlining? I don't want to freak her out or make it look like I have doubts, but the feeling of impending doom is overwhelming me.

"Too perfect? No, I think life has been unfair to us and now we're finally reaping the benefits." She touches my shoulder gently, making me turn to her. "We deserve to be happy." She whispers.

I want to believe Amaya, that this is the start of a new chapter in our lives, a better chapter, but I can't. It's hard to believe that things will just suddenly start working in my favor after years of a crazy back and forth just because I fell in love. After everything that's happened to me, all the stress and heartache, it's hard to process that it might be over. Amaya didn't live my past, there's things she doesn't know that would make her reconsider her confidence in a perfectly happy life for me. I'd always wished I could have a normal life, but I learned and accepted that it isn't my fate a long time ago.

"I'm never letting you go." I matched her low tone, meaning every word of what I was saying. "I'm sorry, I don't want to bring the mood down, I'm being skeptical." I look away from her, trying to hide my concern. "I believe in us." I squeeze her hand.

She leans her head on my shoulder. "Good, it's okay. We're new to this, but we'll learn together."

"Tell me about your family." I change the subject, having the sudden desire to learn everything about her life.

She lifts her head and looks at me. "My family is great. I'm an only child, like you, and my parents are awesome." She sighs and plays with the sand under her hands. I can tell she's trying to build the courage to say something and I'm very proud of her when she speaks. "I'm adopted."

My eyes grow wide, it hits me that there's a lot I don't know about her. I had no idea. "Really? I'm sorry, that must have been a hard thing to process growing up."

She instantly dismisses me. "It's okay, really. I've never felt like I was adopted, my childhood was very happy."

"If you don't mind me asking, do you know your biological parents?" I hoped I didn't go too far with my last question, I spoke before I thought it through. She relives my fears instantly when I see her calm expression.

Amaya shakes her head. "No, they insisted they never wanted to meet me or learn anything about each other. I tried to reach out but they rejected me. Everything about them is anonymous and confidential too so I know absolutely nothing about them, just like they wanted. I've accepted it, I'll never beg someone to be in my life."