Chapter 21

Mabel and Bipper sat in their room, peacefully playing Battleship, or as peaceful as you can get with the two.

Bipper had won for the sixth consecutive time when Finn popped his head in the room.

"There's a weird man at the front door," Finn said. "Wirt told me to get you."

Mabel made eye contact with Bipper. After sharing a grin, Bipper looked at Finn. "Does he have pants on?" he asked seriously.

"Um, yes?" Finn said.

The twins frowned identically. "I guess I'll check it out and see what the guy wants," Bipper said and stood up.

They all headed towards the front door. On the stairs, Finn fell into step with Mabel. "Why did Bipper ask if the guy had pants?" he asked.

Mabel laughed a little. "That is a long story involving the eighth and a half president of the United States of America," she said, but that just left Finn even more confused.

They got to the foyer to find everyone crowded in the room, waiting to see who it was. Even Morty, who was leaning in the door frame to the living room.

"Did I really have to get it?" Bipper asked,

"He is all serious with a suit and clipboard," Frisk said. "And Wirt says he isn't a salesman or something."

Bipper sighed. "Alright." He walked to the front door, plastered his most people-friendly smile on his face, and opened it.

Mabel moved to lean against the wall next to Frisk to better see the man. He was wearing a suit and was carrying a clipboard, just like Frisk said.

He had a smile set into his large, dark, bald head, but it was much more obviously fake than Bipper's, who looked genuinely happy to a stranger.

"Hello, I am from Roadkill County Government's social service branch. This area is growing in size from having no activity in the past three years, so we have come to make sure everyone is happy and healthy," the man said. He looked at Bipper, seemingly just noticing he was fifteen. "Where are your parents?" He looked around the foyer at all of them. "Any of your parents?"

Bipper looked back into the room and made eye contact with Wirt. They had a silent conversation with their eyes, which was entertaining to watch.

Bipper turned back around. "I am sorry, our parents aren't home right now."

The social service worker crossed his arms. "And when will they be home?"

"Uh, well, they won't be home for a while," Bipper said. "They are missionaries, you see. They are out in the world teaching children of lesser opportunity the good, good word of our Lord. They couldn't take us all, so they let us stay home."

"So the six of you are home alone in the same house?" the man said. He pulled his clipboard out and jotted something down.

"Of course not! We have each other. I would hardly call that alone, being with five other people," Bipper said.

Mabel could practically hear everyone's, except Frisk, maybe, internal screaming. Morty pinched the bridge of his nose.

"I am going to have to come inside, son," the government man said.

Bipper stepped out of the way to let him in the house. The man looked at Wirt. "You, are you the oldest?"

Wirt froze. "Uh, yes, sir."

"How old are you?" The man asked.

"Sixteen," Wirt answered simply, more uncomfortable than Mabel had ever seen.