Chapter 14

Morty sighed as he removed the thick plastic glasses he was wearing and wiped his forehead. He finally finished what he had been working on all morning: poison that would kill instantly, euthanasia, in a tiny syringe.

He just needed a way to see if it worked.

Of course, he thought and picked the needle up off his worktable.

Morty made his way up stairs and into the living room where he found Frisk, who was the person he was looking for, longing on the armchair that they slept in. They were sharpening a knife.

"Don't even think about stabbing that in me," Frisk said without looking up from their knife.

Morty looked at the syringe. "It isn't for you," he said.

"Who is it for?" Frisk perked up. "Are you going to kill Bipper? Can I watch?"

"No, I'm not killing Bipper. Not yet anyways," Morty said. "I was thinking more of using it on a monster, perhaps?"

Frisk smiled. "I see."

___

Morty stood in the kitchen, eating an apple he found when Bipper walked in and leaned against the fridge.

"Whatcha doing?" Bipper asked obnoxiously.

"None of your business," Morty shot back.

"Woah, no need to get testy," Bipper said, putting his hands in the air. "I was just trying to be nice."

Morty sighed and set down his apple. "Fine, I'll bite," he said. "Frisk is testing out a poison I made on a monster they found in the forest."

"When are they coming back?" Bipper asked.

"I don't know," Morty sneered, but he realized he was being needlessly rude. Sounding nicer, continued, "But it shouldn't be long."

Bipper moved and smoothly (though dramatically) hopped up to sit on the counter. "I can wait."

Morty rolled his eyes as he went to throw away his apple core, purposely moving away from Bipper.

Not a few minutes passed before there was a loud knock on the door.

Morty and Bipper hurried to the front door. Morty opened it, and out on the lawn was a huge monster with an ugly, troll-like face and a humanoid, but ghastly, lumpy body. It had a small syringe sticking from its neck.

"I did it," Frisk said from the door. They were covered in dirt, and their hair was even more rumpled than normal.

Bipper nodded, looking shockingly impressed. "You killed a Gremloblin. That's better than I expected."

Frisk started to smile, but there was a loud roar, wiping all happiness from the group's face. They turned to the Gremloblin, but it thankfully didn't move.

Morty felt furry prick his mind. His euthanasia didn't work to kill, like he wanted; it knocked out temporarily and paralyzed it's pray.

Frisk, without hesitation, rushed to the monster, brandishing a knife they got from seemingly nowhere. Screaming, they drove the weapon into the creature's heart over and over.

Eventually, the Gremloblin fell silent, and Frisk hopped off, covered in blood. They walked back to the door and went inside.

"I'm taking a shower," they said, disappearing upstairs.

Morty and Bipper looked at each other in half-shock.

"Well, that was violent," Bipper said with a laugh, turning away and breaking the silence.

"Yeah," Morty said, but his mind was somewhere else. "What did you mean a second ago by, 'better than you expected'?"

"What?" Bipper asked, his smile frozen on his face, but it looked more forced now.

"When Frisk showed up, you said, 'You killed one. That is better than I expected.' What does that mean?" Morty said slowly.

Bipper half-shrugged as he idly moved a few steps, effectively hiding his face from Morty. "It means they can be of great use with the level of skill and ruthlessness they have. It was better than I envisioned."

Morty narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms. "What are you playing at?"

Bipper didn't respond.

"Why do you have us all here, Bipper?" Morty said. "First Wirt, who is a stony child murder, and Finn, who is an insane magical child. Then Mabel, who doesn't have magic like the three of you but can pin you down. Then there is me and Frisk. Frisk, who just took down something that made you impressed."

"And you?" Bipper asked quietly.

"And me, a person who spends all my time bossing around infinite versions of the person I hate most and torching infinite versions of myself," Morty said almost wistfully, quoting what Bipper told him weeks ago.

"And?" Bipper said.

"And it's all for a reason," Morty said. "What is that reason?"

Bipper finally turned back around and looked Morty straight in the eye. "There is a storm coming, and we best be ready when she does." He turned again and disappeared up the stairs, leaving Morty gaping after him.

______

Short sort of chapter, but I like it. (I'm a sucker to call backs, and this is one from when Bipper was convincing Morty to join his little group in, like, Chapter 9, was it?)

Anyways, have a nice day! I bid you adieu!