Reality Kicks In

I was having an amazing time at Disney with Chris. We had done all of the parks and they were just as magical as the Magic Kingdom had been. We were sitting down to dinner on our final night and I couldn't keep the smile off of my face. "I know I've said it already but thank you so much for this. You really didn't have to pull out all of the stops."

"You deserve the world. I've told you this already."

"I know, and I'm working harder at believing it. There's just a lot there to unpack and chip away at. I'm getting used to someone caring enough to do that."

Before he could respond, his phone rang. We had been pretty lucky this past week with no outside phone calls. Chris must have arranged everything before we left to be able to take some uninterrupted time off. Worry lines appear on his face as the conversation continues before he says thank you and hangs up. "What's going on Chris?"

"That was Scott. He ran by your house and saw that the door was open. He went inside and saw that the place was trashed. He called the cops and they're searching the place now. I'm calling Megan, she's going to get us on flights home tonight, I'm going to insist on it." I'm sure Chris said more but everything around me started spinning, the floor and the ceiling merging into one as I thought about all that this would cost me.

The damage could be fixed, the broken things replaced. But the sense of security I had since moving here, that was gone. And I wasn't sure how I would be able to get it back.

...

I don't talk much the whole way back to Boston, choosing instead to pass the time staring out the window. I needed to think of a plan. I needed to leave Boston, change my name, start over. "I know what you're thinking." Chris says taking a seat next to me. There hadn't been any flights that left at a decent time so he chartered a private jet to get us home.

"What am I thinking?"

"That you're not worth this. That you should leave."

"How could you possibly know that?"

"Because I know you. And, like I said I would, I'm going to remind you every day that you are."

"Chris..."

"No! You're worth it. I chose to love you. I chose to be with you, regardless of whatever your past or mine might drag up." I nod and he pulls me into his side and I bury my head in his chest, taking in a calming breath of him.

We arrive at my house and the cops are still there, as well as Scott. "Hey." He says as we exit the car Chris hired to pick us up from the airport. Scott pulls me into a hug, holding me tightly.

"Do they think anything was taken?" I ask as he leads us to my front door.

"They're not too sure... The house... well, it's hard to tell if something, anything, was taken." I step inside and immediately start crying. All of my things are in some state of destruction. Either ripped to shreds or overturned and thrown around the room.

"This can't be happening." I whisper walking through the mess. Moose's dog-bed in the living room was destroyed, the stuffing spread out.

"Ma'am? We need you to file a report. This all needs to be documented." An officer says.

We took stock of everything. The only thing missing was my great grandmother's ring that my grams had given me. "This just confirms that it was them." I say softly to Chris as the cops do one final walk through.

"How are you sure?" He asks.

"My biological mother would be the only one to take that ring. It's not worth a lot. It's costume jewelry. It's value was sentimental. The only reason it was passed down to me was because it was a lab created emerald and both my great grandmother and I were born in May. My biological mother worshipped the ground this woman walked on."

"Miss?" One of the officers said, calling me over to them. "With this being an open investigation, we can't have anyone staying here."

My eyes grow wide. "So not only have they violated and stolen even more from me, now they've made it so I can't stay in my own home. Fan-fucking-tastic."

"Hey, it's ok. You and Moose are going to come stay with me and Dodger for a while." Chris says.

"Am I at least allowed to take my clothes from my closet?" I ask the officer. He nods and I walk robotically into my room to pack.

"We're going to get to the bottom of this, Lexi. I promise they won't ever hurt you again." Chris says, pulling me into his arms as I fall apart again.