Chapter 3

Kara and Alex are both sitting on small stools next to some of their family's cows. Part of their daily chores was to milk the cows. 

Kara was clearly still angry about the game so neither was speaking. 

The man from the stands who laughed at Kara's strike out and looked like he wanted to be anywhere but there. 

"Hey," he calls but neither girls here him over the moos of the cows. 

He stepped further into the barn and says "Hey!" 

Both girls look around the back side of the cows annoyed at the interruption. "Hey, yourself" Alex says. 

"Doesn't that hurt them?" The man questions. 

"Doesn't seem to" Alex responds. 

"Well, it would bruise the hell out of me." He says with a shudder. 

"Who are you?" Alex questions as a cow gives the man a side-eye. 

"I'm William Dey. I'm a baseball scout. I saw you playing today." He was only talking to Alex. "Not bad, not bad." Alex is barely listening "You ever hear of Walter Harvey, makes Harvey bars? You know the candy?"

Alex shrugs and says "Yeah. We feed them to the cows when they're constipated."

He smiles fakely "That's the guy. He's starting a girls' baseball league" Kara stands up her full attention on this man "so he can make a buck while the boys are overseas. Want to play? 

"Huh?" Alex is standing now also but not looking anywhere close to as interested as Kara.

"Nice retort. Tryouts are in Chicago. It's a real league professional." William explains. 

"Professional baseball?" Kara says shocked. 

"Mmm-hmm." he says in a condescending town "They'll pay you $75 a week."

Alex still doesn't seem interested as Kara runs up to her side "We only make 30 at the dairy" Kara says. 

"Well then. This would be more, wouldn't it? You interested?" 

"Come on." Alex shrugs it off but still questions "$75 a week?" Alex sets down the bucket of milk before nodding at Kara and saying "Pull her leg for a while. Mine are long enough already."

William ignores that still addressing Alex "Look, your country needs you, and you can not only play ball-" both girls start moving one of the cows "-but you're kind of a doll. That's what we're looking for."

Alex rolls her eyes out of sight "Oh, now I get it. Listen, mister. My husband's overseas"

"Oh, relax. I'm talking lookie no touchie." Alex was two seconds away from punching this man in his dumb face. "It's just that we want girls who are easy on the eyes" Alex was already outside but Kara had wanted to play ball her entire life so she stayed and listened to this man. 

Kara ignores her nausea at this man's words "Well, I'll go. I'm ready. I'm ready right now. I gotta sign something?"

Alex walks back into the barn to grab another cow as she hears William say "I don't want you! I want her!" he says motioning at Alex. "The one who hit the ball" Now Kara was close to punching this man. "You can climb back under that cow."

Alex looks furious as she turns around "She's good. She's very good. She's a pitcher. She just didn't pitch today 'cause she pitched the day before." Kara is milking a cow but vibrating with rage in her seat. 

"Well, thanks for that extra-special glimpse into her life." He focuses once again on Alex "I want you. You I saw. You I like. Now, what do you say? There's a train leaving for Chicago tomorrow." Alex is mostly ignoring him "Well, come on. What do you say? Are you in?"