Chapter 6

AN: Sam is a dick to begin with but patience

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the first game of the All-American Girls' Baseball League. The South Bend Blue Sox take on your own Rockford Peaches." 

The peaches barely had half an hour between all the measurements, fittings, and grace lessons. 

"Where is she? It's almost game time." Kate questions. 

"I can't believe she is gonna be our manager," Yelena adds. 

"You know, I was listening to the radio when she hit that home run off Hubbell that won the pennant." Janet Van Dye says "I'm going to get him to sign my husband's baseball card." 

"Do you mind if I look at the card?" Kate asks. 

"Yah just be careful. Scott will come all the way back from the Pacific and kill me if anything happens to it." 

The door slams open startling the entire group of girls as Sam stumbles in clearly drunk and half asleep. 

Sam glances around self-conscious for a second. 

Janet tries to get his attention "Mrs. Arias" another girl tries to shake her hand but she ignores them and grabs the card and rips it up when it's shoved in her face once again before turning back around and walking out onto the field already annoyed by the girls on her team. 

(there is a really funny peeing scene here that I am not gonna add here cause it's a guy in the movie but go watch it it's hilarious) 

"Hey great to meet you" Carol calls after her sarcastically. 

"What are we going to do? He didn't give us a lineup." Lena says to the room. She had seen her multiple times and every time the woman takes her breath away. She was the picture of beauty that Kara got told to strive for as a young girl. 

Beautiful green eyes, pale skin, black hair, and a melodic voice that commands a room. 

"We can't play without a lineup," Ivy says. 

"I'll pitch" Kara quickly says as Janet picks up the pieces of the baseball card. "I can pitch" Everyone starts chatting nervously and calling out where they could play. 

"I thought I was playing center field," Nat says 

"No Nat I would like to play center field," Carol says. 

Alex steps into the center of the room and says "Hey!" no one listens so she says it again louder "Hey!" Once everyone is looking at her "You guys, come on. How hard can it be to make a lineup? Come on."

"Oh yeah? Well, why don't you do it Oregon." Carol says.

"Me?" 

"Yeah, you," a couple of people say at the same time.

Alex takes half a second to compose herself before she says "All right. Nat, center field. Leadoff."

"She's good," Nat says.

Alex goes through the rest of the team to create the lineup for the first game. 

--------------

"And now, the manager of the Peaches, Sam Arias!" The women in the audience stand and chair but the men barely clap for her until she walks out of the dugout gives them a fake smile and a wink. Then and only then do they clap more. 

Not that it makes much of a difference. Only about 100 people are in the stands. 

Sam continues waving as she mutters "This is bullshit. You can all kiss my ass. That's right. Kiss my big ass"