Chapter 12

AN: Okay I love you guys! If you have questions about anything please ask I try and respond to all comments so even if you just say hi I will respond and give you a cheesy joke or something

Next game

It is the 9th inning and Kara was looking ragged at best. 

She just threw a hanging curve ball that the batter waits on and crushes into deep left field for a double. 

Sam has her arms crossed over her chest in the dugout but only for a second before yelling "Time!" and walking out to the mound. 

"Rockford manager Sam Arias pops her head out of the dugout and is on her way to the mound to talk to his hurler." Kara is panting she tried to put everything in her last couple of pitches and it hasn't gone well so far "Kara Danvers looks mighty tired."

Kara does not want to get pulled from the game and Sam looks like she is going to pull her. 

"Game's getting pretty exciting." is all Sam says to start as Alex slowly approaches the mound. 

"I'll finish it right here. I promise. I'll strike this girl out." Alex gives Kara the ball. 

Sam glances behind her and says "I got Shirley all ready to come in."

"Come on, Coach. I've never been taken out before. Ask Alex" Kara says motioning at her sister whose brows were furrowed "I really want to finish this game, Sam. Please?"

Sam glances at Alex and says "What do you think?" 

Alex shrugs and says "Well, you know, she's..." she hesitates and it is enough for anger to start festering in Kara "She's battling" 

"What do you think?" Sam says again angrier. 

"She's done. She's throwing grapefruits up there." Kara knew it was coming but it still hurt more than words could express and she couldn't do anything to stop Sam from calling to the umpire and telling him there will be a substitution. 

Kara throws the ball at Alex's chest and storms off the mound and into the dugout. 

"Oh! It looks like Keller is coming out of the ball game, and she is not happy about it." Even though Kara's angry, she registers that she gets a standing ovation from the fans along with cheers. "Fans giving a hand for the Rockford ace. Kara throws her mitt against her jacket that is on the dugout bench "Shirley Horn sprints in from the left-field bullpen."

"Look at this crowd. This is great." Harvey says to Winn in the stands as the applause for Kara continues into cheers for the new Peaches pitcher. "They're jumping, they're hopping. they're cheering, and they paid to get in. You did a fabulous job, Winn. I won't forget this." 

Winn smiles brightly and says "Thank you, Mr. Harvey. I appreciate it coming from you. But to be perfectly honest the girls deserve most of the credit." 

"Oh they're great," Harvey says as they sit down "Fortunately, we won't need them anymore." Winn's smile drops "Do you want a peanut?"

"No. What do you mean?" Concern dripped from his voice.

"What do you mean, what do I mean?" Harvey says "We're winning the war. Our situation changed. I mean, Roosevelt himself said 'Men's baseball won't be shut down.' So, we won't need the girls next year."

"Bases loaded bottom of the ninth, Rockford up 6 to 2 with two men out. No balls, two strikes..." the pitch is thrown in, and "Strike three!" the game is over just like that, and the peaches jump up and down and hug each other in celebration because "And that is the ball game! Rockford is in the playoffs!"