Chapter 10

The overnight bus ride back to Rockford

Everyone was spread throughout the bus doing their own thing or in pairs. 

Kara and Lena had put up a privacy curtain of sweaters so they wouldn't be disturbed. Lena rests her head on Kara's lap as she reads a book by Emily Dickenson while Kara strokes her hair. 

Yelena paints Kate's nails in another row. 

Carol is asleep with her head on Nat's shoulder as Nat secretly writes some original lyrics to a melody she had created. She had no plans to really tell any-

"Whatcha doing?" Harley asks from the seat in front of her and before Nat can protest Harley had grabbed the notebook from her lap and started to read. 

"Give it back!" Nat whisper yells at her teammate she couldn't move because Carol was on her shoulder. 

Harley waves Nat off for a couple of seconds before saying "Nat this is really good, what is the inspiration?" 

Nat shrugs shyly "Yah. Us. This team. It's not finished yet though so you shouldn't even be reading it yet." 

Harley paces the book back and says "Your secret is safe with me." 

-------------------

"So with two runs in the sixth South Bend gets even." The announcer says as the inning ends. 

"Shake it off." Sam says patting the girls on the back as they walk into the dugout barely containing her rage "Shake it off." but she calls Shirley over. "Say, Shirley, can I ask you a question? You got a moment?" she nods a little scared "Which team do you play for?"

She hesitates "Well, I'm a Peach." 

"Well, I was just wondering, 'cause I couldn't figure out why you'd throw home when WE'VE GOT A TWO-RUN LEAD!" entire team is watching and fans are starting to notice her anger "You let the tying run get on second, and we lost the lead because of you!" Now the other team and umps are noticing "Now you start using your head! That's that lump that's three feet above your ass!" Sam walks back to the dugout and turns to notice that Shirley starts crying. "Are you crying?"

"No"

"Are you crying?" 

She clearly was "No"

"ARE YOU CRYING?" Sam storms up to Shirley "There's no crying. There's no crying in baseball" 

"Why don't you leave her alone," Carol says glaring at their coach who was clearly drunk. It had been two weeks of no drunk Sam moments and the team was getting hopeful that they would finally get a real coach, not an asshole. 

"Oh you zip it, Carol"

Sam turns her furry back on Shirley as she says "Rogers Hornsby was my manager,  and he called me a talking pile of pig shit. And that was on the day of my minor league debut in front of 14 thousand screaming fans. Did I cry?"

"No" 

"No. And you know why?"

"No"

"Cause there is no crying in baseball!" She storms back to the dugout "There's no crying in baseball!" 

Finally, the umpire steps in and says "What's the matter, Sam?" 

"She's crying sir," she says gesturing at Shirley. 

Ivy and Lena comfort Shirley as they lead her back into the dugout and says "I didn't mean to do that." through tears.

The ump looks at Sam "Perhaps you chastised her too vehemently. Good rule of thumb, treat each of these girls as you would treat your mother."