25-Powers off

25| power off

Her eyes expect the sofa in the living room to
be occupied, but to her surprise it's empty. Her stomach churns uneasily, knowing it would only bring her hassle later. She sighs, pushing it out of her mind and focusing on the hunger that grew within.

She'd made her food before heading for a nap, now turning on the gas so the stew would warm up. It doesn't take long, hot in a matter of minutes.

Two portions are set aside for her father after he comes back home.

Whilst letting her own cool, one portion is left on the side in cling film, and the others are packed away into takeaway boxes. Before she ate and stood up to make her way to her room.

After Jale had led her home- she didn't do anything, in particular, in particular, other than have a chit-chat with her rather.

Watching the stars- she remembered when she was younger, she would always stare up at the stars with her father and talk about everything.

He would point to the brightest two stars in the sky and smile down at her, telling her that those were her parents watching over her.

She would always smile and tell him that he was being silly. These star-gazing sessions usually ended with her passing out in her father's arms.

The night had reached its peak already, ink
having bled into the sky and dark encompassing all, thick and heavy, a shroud not to be rid of. It's murky and polluted, but even so, a thousand stars still swim it.

They're small pits of white, emitting streaks of erratic bright light.

The swarm is accompanied by the moon, which is abnormally large with an ethereal misty white surface.

It's beautiful.

Today, however, y/n lay on a blanket she
brought out, and looked up at the stars with
tears in her eyes.

I don't understand people.

She thought to herself.

She then turned to the next star and started
getting angry. Her mother couldn't stay with her- she left her to choose her father's side easily, and she didn't even fight for her. That's how she was now living with her father- alone.

She felt cold.

It was the type of coldness that reaches into her bones, as if her heart were a door left wide open to the icy wind, slamming only to open again.

The cold onshore breeze blew right through y/n's cardigan and she bowed her head to one side, closing her lashes.

The dampness of the ice was making its way through her pajamas and she hugged her arms close. Some of her hair fell loose about her face as she headed back into her room deciding to just watch from the inside.

Watching the raindrops slide down the glass, racing each other to the windowsill.

She's more fascinated by the number of lightning in the distance she's managed to spot several times now, sighing with something like satisfaction every time she saw them and hearing the roar of thunder that followed the bright streaks that cut through the darkness of the clouds.

Although it's a picture of the weather at war with itself, testing the strength of buildings and power systems.

y/n's state of peaceful acceptance of the newfound loss of light and power, in general, in general, is interrupted by the borderline hysterical gasp that sounds more like a suppressed shriek.

Her eyes are quick to dart over to the source of any four effects of the light near her. Her house was now filled with darkness- she wasn't a brave girl but she still tried to search for her phone in the dark.

And she did find it.

Quickly she deleted her father's number- the phone rang for more than five minutes as the anxiety built in her even more. He didn't answer- she knew that the storm happening right now was the reason for not reaching him. She knows her father wants the one who will ignore her.

She kept him a voicemail- her mind wasn't thinking straight, and she talked on the phone stuttering. She didn't care.

But she needed someone- she couldn't just stay in the dark, she didn't know even if she could step out of her room. The memories of her own four years old started to rush down her mind.

She could still remember how her parents tried enough to get her away from their yelling and fights- but they didn't try enough.

She remembered how she could stay in her room and listen at the door at their shouts- the door of her room was the only thing separating her from them.

Not feeling her fingers anymore- she dilated Jake's number. She prayed that he would answer and save her. She needs someone for comfort.

Three rings and he finally did. "Hello?" Jake's voice sounded foggy and tired.

"J-jake." She stuttered, making Jake's form rise from his sheets. He was confused, and the new voice rang in his ears terrified.

"Yes?"

"It's y/n. I-I d-don't know w-what happened b-but the p-power are out a-and and-"

Her voice.

The voice of someone you have known all your life. A voice that has just been brought into the world. A voice of a loved one, speaking your name. The voice that gives you butterflies and speeds up your heartbeat. The one that sends dozens of butterflies in your stomach and brings a smile to your face.

Jake interrupted her instead, he felt his heart shatter into pieces. Fate wanted him to hear y/n's voice for the first time, but it was a scarred voice. "It's okay- it's okay. Breath y/n."

Silence.

"Y/n? Can you hear me?" Jake asked, hopping off his bed, before grabbing his jacket- he could hear the storm outside and the thunder was not giving up on scaring people.

"Y-yes."

"Breath with me y/n." He said in a gentle voice before grabbing his car keys and sorting his way out of his place. He was glad somehow that he did drive her home. Now he just has to drive there.

"Breath y/n- one." He stayed on the line as he listened to her breathing heavily. But he could still feel her shaking before the line was caught off.

I'm coming.