chapter 36 -- infiltrated

Edited! ✔️

The Autobots' downtime was going well. Optimus, Jetfire, Skydancer, and Blaze managed to keep their processors off the recent blow to the faction's morale, fighting against each other and keeping the banter light.

Jetfire and Optimus split off from the younger Cybertronians to use the holograms, and they were doing well. They had gone through five waves of holograms, the amount of Decepticons increasing with each one they completed. Optimus used his blaster to fight, while the Seeker used his wrist blade to mow down many of the fake Decepticons.

"Behind you!" The red and blue bot called.

He swiftly aimed his blaster at the hologram sneaking up on Jetfire, who was locked with a Decepticon wielding forearm blames. It phased out with a yell, and the Seeker glanced back briefly.

"Thanks!" He said, "Watch your left!"

Optimus whipped back around, jumping back before being hit with an electrical staff. Two holograms wielding the weapon faced him, scowling. The Autobot lifted a leg and kicked the closest one in the chassis, sending it crashing into the other. As they fell, Optimus shot one in the chassis, causing it to disappear, then shot the other in the leg. The injured body part glitched and disappeared, rendering the Decepticon unable to stand. It still took its staff and threw it at the Autobot. He dodged it easily, then shot that one in the helm.

Jetfire managed to push back the Decepticon he fought, and quickly slashed it in half. The console trilled; another wave completed. Optimus' mouthplate slid back, and he inhaled a huge breath, panting tiredly. The Seeker sheathed his sword, crouching and panting, wings angled low. The red and blue bot dropped the training blaster, resting his servos on his knees.

"I think that's enough holograms for me." The white bot said.

"Same." Optimus muttered, "End sequence!"

The console trilled, then powered down. The red and blue bot allowed himself to fall backwards, landing on the mat with his arms splayed out. They stayed in silence, catching their breath. They could hear Skydancer and Blaze wrestling not too far away, laughing and throwing playful insults. Jetfire's comm beeped, and he raised two digits to respond.

"Understood." He said, then looking over at Optimus, "I need to go. Prime wants me back on patrols around Iacon."

The red and blue bot nodded in understanding. The Seeker stood up and padded to his friend, holding out a servo to help him up. Optimus raised a lazy servo, grabbing his friend's, and was pulled up from the floor. The smaller Autobot nodded as thanks, then bent down to pick up the blaster.

"See you later, Optimus." He said, waving as he walked away.

"See you." Optimus said back.

The Seeker left the training room. The sound of transformation and jet engines came soon after, and then he was gone. The red and blue bot sighed, putting the blaster back and walked to the far training room. He poked his helm inside, the young Cybertronians still wrestling.

"Skydancer, Blaze." Optimus said.

The two stopped, looking up at him.

"Yeah?" Skydancer called.

"Jetfire just left for patrol, and I'm going to the first floor." He said, "Just wanted to let you know that you'd be alone."

"Okay!" The two Autobots said in unison.

Blaze spoke, "We'll be fine."

Optimus nodded, turned, and padded away, the two resuming. He got into the elevator. H stared at the top of the doors, waiting for the digital screen to hit level one. The elevator beeped on the mark, and the doors opened. Optimus stepped out, slipping past three Autobot drones as they walked inside. He padded down the hall, not sure where to go or what to do.