17.

James and I finish checking all the rooms on the left side and look for the room the others are in. We hear two more button sounds and find them coming out of the last two rooms on the left side. Milo and Leo hold up an "ok" sign and Pam and Lilith mimic them. Pam points back to the other area and I nod in response. Trying to rush, we try to take noiseless steps all the way back to the door. A minute or two passes and we arrive at the gate section and the monster isn't anywhere in sight.

"Let's go," James whispers. We all start walking at a faster pace, reaching the door in a matter of seconds.
Once I reach the door I push the handle and it makes a loud clicking sound. I glance past everyone once more out of instinct.

"Fuck." My eyes widen.

"Get in!" I whisper yell, and push the door open, not even caring. I nudge everyone inside in a panic. It's low growling gets louder. I see the creature getting ready to jump at me but I get in and shut the door just in time.

I hear the large crash on the other side of the door. Several bangs hit the door before it eventually stops.

It left.

I sigh out of relief before turning around. I see a short set of stairs leading to another door, identical to the first one. Everyone except James and I, are already at the top. We start jogging up the stairs.
Pam's hand is set on the handle, and everyone clumps together.

Ready and not ready, for what's on the other side. She pushes it and it opens slowly, creaking. It's pitch black. Almost instantly we all turn on our light sources. The several lights ignite together, illuminating the area. In front of the door is a railing, and to our left are stairs. I shine my flashlight following the railing, and the stairs go down in spirals. I step in front of the railing and bend over, checking if anything is down there. Only a little light hits the bottom, but I can tell there is nothing here.

"That's a fuckton of stairs." I sigh and start going down.